• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress socks

web.boards

Reaction score
I have not had much luck with dress socks that are comfortable and also durable. Does anyone have any suggestions for anything they have found that they like?

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Find the thread on Viccel. Very good socks for a reasonable price. I recommend the winter weight cotton socks. Good luck

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Marcoliani, Zimmerli, Gallo, Dore Dore, Falke, and Viccel. Pantherella is OK on deep discount, but the quality has really fallen. They've been mixing in more and more synthetic fibers, which means the sock wont last as long.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Bresciani, Dore Dore, Falke or Gallo. Avoid Pantherella and I find that the nylon in the one size fits all Marcolianis cuts off the circulation in my upper calves.

If you are on a budget and need them quickly, STP has some great deal on Pantherella. $10>

I love my viccell, but they take so long to ship/arrive
ffffuuuu.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the long term, I have found Breschiani's 80/20 and 75/25 cotton and wool blends to be the most durable. The 100% stuff of both wool and cotton are good...but not as durable...but they feel nicer A Suitable Wardrobe is my first stop: http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/hosiery.aspx www.dandystore.fr www.customshirt1.com (good selection of Marcoliani socks also) www.howardyount.com (Marcoliani socks) Side note: I tried Viccel. Nice colors for their wools...but they are not durable. Their OTC are longer than any competitors...which was a plus for me The cotton versions are a bit more durable than their wool stuff...but their colors fade fast. Viccel is more competitively priced than Marcoliani or Breaschiani My future purchases will be Breschiani...with a few Marcoliani's sprinkled in

web.boards

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
If you are on a budget and need them quickly, STP has some great deal on Pantherella. $10>

I love my viccell, but they take so long to ship/arrive
ffffuuuu.gif

What is STP?

Thanks.

rob

Reaction score
Sierra Trading Post = STP.

gwolf

Reaction score
gold toe for the budget friendly...

PL92106

Reaction score
Couldn't help myself. Bought another 18 pairs of Pantherellas that just got here from STP. $103.50 total. I think I'll go roll around in a pile of them. Or maybe I'll make it rain pantherellas. I think I have a problem. I know quality may have fallen from past standards, but I still dig em.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PL92106
Couldn't help myself. Bought another 18 pairs of Pantherellas that just got here from STP. $103.50 total. I think I'll go roll around in a pile of them. Or maybe I'll make it rain pantherellas. I think I have a problem. I know quality may have fallen from past standards, but I still dig em.

At the current price point they are a good buy.

I like the wool argyle ones I have, although they tend to slide down my calves
ffffuuuu.gif

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Ive bought several pairs of Pantherellas from STP, and I have to say Im left unimpressed. They have stretched out quickly, developed wear spots quickly, and the wool ones have pilled.

My gold toes have done none of the above, so I think I will stay with them going forward. Also, please dont tell me the Pantherellas will last longer if I hand wash them in a clear mountain stream with genuine castille soap and air dry them in an oxygen free environment. I already spend too much time maintaining my suits and shoes. I dont need another weekend task for my socks past washing and drying.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni

PL92106

Reaction score
I must just be lucky enough to get the only good batches of Pantherella OTCs, whether from STP or Nordy's or NM. Admit that the regular size socks always look grotesquely gargantuan before the first wash, I just throw them in the washer/dryer (not sure if it matters, but have a Samsung front loading washer and gas dryer set with respective drums designed not to beat up clothes too bad - well worth the extra money BTW. My lady says doing laundry is now fun). When I pull them out, they fit perfectly snug over the calf just below the knee and never fall down. No special care required.

Still have and regularly wear (maybe 5 or 6 times a year in the rotation) the first pair I bought circa 2002 (back when I couldn't understand why any idiot would pay so much for regular dress socks of all things - so of course I had to try them). Could just be me.

I find the Gold Toes I've recently bought have fallen in quality - maybe since Blackstone bought the company. The investment is not doing so well, so maybe they've cut quality of the materials used. Just threw out a pair I bought at Christmas where the elastic around my normal sized calves blew out after 4 wears.

All that said, socks r socks - just pick some nice ones that work for you. At some point, all socks are thrown out or relegated to household cleaning tools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads