• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Slip Ons / Lazy Man Oxfords

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on dress slip-ons? I'm thinking about having a pair made for wear with suits. I realize they're not to most people's taste, but there's something appealing and practical about the design. A shoe you can slip on and off easily, but both looks smart and casual.

Any thoughts on the style? Favorite models or makers? Examples of how they're best worn?

Some photos from ASW, Lobb, Cleverley, and Vox's blog:

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys I know who own them think they are great, especially for airport security. But that is a very small group of guys. I've never been fond of the look myself. They seem to be a bit of an oxymoron. I will stick to a more traditional style loafer which, to me, is more versatile. Maybe not for formal dress, but for all other times.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are corny as ****. Buy Chelseas instead.

Lazyman= the aluminum siding of shoes

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are corny as ****. Buy Chelseas instead.

Lazyman= the aluminum siding of shoes

Agree more with the Chelseas for a suit occasion, but nothing like a tassel loafer for versatility.

justonemore

Reaction score
I like my slip-ons to be slip-ons and my oxfords to be be oxfords....As much as I want to like the Cleverey Churchill or Fairbanks....I just don't...Same goes for the Alden plain-toe shell cordovan slip-ons I can get at one of my local stores for $350...Sure they're cheap...But I'll never wear them....

I agree with the tassel loafer being versatile but there are tassel loafers and then there are tassel loafers.....

Every once in a casual blue moon I'll toss these on with a less formal suit....

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. I've tried them on, but they always feel a bit chintzy at my end of the market – and tend to be a center gore, which is not as cool as the side ones. Aren't the ASW ones goreless, like these Foster & Sons samples?

That style almost certainly has to be bespoke, with such a high vamp.

I don't like the fake laces much. and I think the elastic-sided ones look much better with some kind of broguing – wingtip, toe cap, or they're even the only shoe I like with a floating medallion.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like them. I've tried them on, but they always feel a bit chintzy at my end of the market – and tend to be a center gore, which is not as cool as the side ones. Aren't the ASW ones goreless, like these Foster & Sons samples? That style almost certainly has to be bespoke, with such a high vamp. I don't like the fake laces much. and I think the elastic-sided ones look much better with some kind of broguing – wingtip, toe cap, or they're even the only shoe I like with a floating medallion.
Yea, the AC ones are made without an elasticized gore. Surprised the AC/ F&S ones aren't well liked. They're just a play on the regular loafer, but IMO a lot more elegant.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, the AC ones are made without an elasticized gore. Surprised the AC/ F&S ones aren't well liked. They're just a play on the regular loafer, but IMO a lot more elegant.

But a more elegant loafer is less casual, and if you firmly subscribe to loafers = casual (aka SF Dogma), then what good are these? Even then, this style (slip-on or side gore) reminds me more of a monkstrap meeting an oxford. A little more suit-appropriate, without the buckle, but I'll happily wear a black single monk with a worsted suit. Not a wingtip monk, though, and that's where these come into their own.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But a more elegant loafer is less casual, and if you firmly subscribe to loafers = casual (aka SF Dogma), then what good are these? Even then, this style (slip-on or side gore) reminds me more of a monkstrap meeting an oxford. A little more suit-appropriate, without the buckle, but I'll happily wear a black single monk with a worsted suit. Not a wingtip monk, though, and that's where these come into their own.

It's basically a dressy enough slip-on that you can wear them with suits. If you live in an place where you have to take your shoes on and off all the time (East Asia, Russia, etc), they could also be more practical than monkstraps or lace-up shoes.

Mostly though, I think I just like them for their look, although I don't know if I've seen them enough with suits to have a strong opinion either way.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Sure, I get that. I, personally, am not a "loafers/monks = casual" guy, but I was positing a reason why more people don't like the goreless kind. I've probably seen three pairsof good ones IRL? So I can't say for sure I like them, but I think I do. That said, I think the practicality factor is largely why so many of the Japanese makers do such nice examples of the breed.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This thread needs a bump. Lazy Man's Oxfords are my choice of footwear most often these days. I prefer the aesthetics of the Oxford but am too lazy for anything but loafers.

To this day I have not found a nicer side gusset / lazy man than this, at least just looking at pictures from the Internet.

GC-side_gusset.jpg

I'm right now developing a new Lazy Man's Oxford or side gusset shoe as an option to the Löf & Tung "Ballard" which sold very, very well for such a dandy style (or maybe it isn't?). Post your inspirational pictures here, if you want me to incorporate any ideas you have into a future style.

The Ballard is a traditional Lazy Man's in the way that it's made to look like a wingtip Oxford. I'm looking for something more unique this time around.

Löf & Tung Ballard:
DSC_9442.jpg
DSC_9443.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
I like the totally plain ones like my old oneshoe. But I wouldn't wear the kind with broguing and multiple leather panels coving side gores. Will Field in DC wears them, or did about 15 yrs ago.

Personally, I'm totally fine wearing a penny loafer or wholecut loafer with a suit. Easier to slip on/off than one with elastics too.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
These are the ones I have, Patrick. I do travel about 50% of the time for work and they are quite convenient at airports where I cannot breeze through security. These past few weeks of working from home, they have been great for popping out of the house to get a cup of coffee, run a quick errand, etc. So functionally, they are wonderful.

Aesthetically, I don't think they are dandy at all, actually, as no one can even tell that they are anything but plain old half-brogues unless they look very closely because of the faux laces. I wear them with everything from dark jeans to a charcoal worsted suit and they've never felt off.

It was surprisingly difficult to find a pair that did not look oddly different from laced shoes, and came down to either these by Fugashin Saigon or the Cleverleys made famous by Henry Cavill in Man from UNCLE (if you look closely you'll see he still wears them on his own time). In my search I saw that Skoaktiebolaget had a pair of Carlos Santos a few years ago and I regret missing out on it, as IIRC it came with a beautiful dye job, whereas this is a less interesting solid brown that I will let patina naturally. So I guess those would be my suggestions: make it looks as not-dandified as possible, and in museum calf because you can never overdo museum calf.

eb7a2963a59b8c2cfe443f1fe73d263a.jpg

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I went through a phase where I really liked the look of the Lazyman. I got the AC Churchill and then went and bought a pair of bespoke Cleverley’s (see photo)

Over time I have, however, come back to the view (that I used to hold) that they are a bit of a Frankenstein model. Also not helped by some fit issues on the bespoke shoes. They are fine but not great. Instead I now tend to wear classic punch cap oxfords or, if I am travelling, a pair of black loafers (second picture, also Cleverley)

R-O-T

Attachments

• 2DE4C4EA-F0A8-426F-9C03-FD14BCABB6D7.jpeg
    2DE4C4EA-F0A8-426F-9C03-FD14BCABB6D7.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 1E496584-E834-4762-BDF6-C41C7ACCF876.jpeg
    1E496584-E834-4762-BDF6-C41C7ACCF876.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 88

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads