Dress shoes recomendations ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sstomcat, Apr 7, 2011.

1. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I have three pairs of AEs, one of which is about to go in for its fourth resoling. They have held up very nicely.

2. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

If this is your first pair of nice shoes, I would suggest you stay away from the expensive ones. It is far better to just try out a few cheaper shoes so you know what you actually like. Leather Soles vs Double Leather, Square vs Round Lasts, Calf vs Cordovan, Smooth vs Pebble Grain vs Suede, Brown vs Black vs Blue vs Burgundy, etc.

Once you are comfortable with your personal style then buy as expensive as you wish to splurge.

Well put Sir, I will keep in mind.

I wear Allen Edmonds and occassionally Eccos for casual Fridays. I'm looking to upgrade going EG or GG at this moment seems a little out of the way even though I'm tempted.
    So what do you guys now recommend I should go for?

Thanks to everyone..

3. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

I wear Allen Edmonds and occassionally Eccos for casual Fridays. I'm looking to upgrade going EG or GG at this moment seems a little out of the way even though I'm tempted.

Thanks to everyone..

I too have AEs among those already identified...I would suggest CJ or AS as a work up to EG/GG.

4. Patek

Patek Senior member

There are old Florsheim, and modern Florsheim... They are different beasts.

Vintage Florsheims are well made.

True. However, I don't think anyone is recommending to the OP to go buy vintage shoes.

5. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

If this is your first pair of nice shoes, I would suggest you stay away from the expensive ones. It is far better to just try out a few cheaper shoes so you know what you actually like. Leather Soles vs Double Leather, Square vs Round Lasts, Calf vs Cordovan, Smooth vs Pebble Grain vs Suede, Brown vs Black vs Blue vs Burgundy, etc.

Once you are comfortable with your personal style then buy as expensive as you wish to splurge.

6. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

I too have AEs among those already identified...I would suggest CJ or AS as a work up to EG/GG.

How about brooks brothers abd their Peal and co. line of shoes?

7. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

Thanks to everyone..

Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent, Alden, and Barker Black are all good options.

I highly recommend getting a pair of John Lobbs though, especially on discount. They're just so nice.

8. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

How about brooks brothers abd their Peal and co. line of shoes?

I believe the made in the U.K. Peal and Co. _are_ Alfred Sargent (or historically C&J).

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Have not seen a budget. Without a budget, it is extremely hard to know what to recommend.

AE's and Alden's are good shoes in the affordable zone for most incomes. General consensus here is Alden are slightly higher end over AE, but are about 20% more expensive. I think the trade off is worth it.

Also priced in the same zone are Italian brands like Ferragamo, Testoni and numerous others I cant remember (I dont generally buy Italian shoes). Opinion appears to be divided on Ferragamo, but quality appears to be somewhere around the above 2 labels.

Of course you have fashion houses, i.e. Prada, Gucci, Vuitton etc... If you can pick them up from eGay for under $400 they are not such a bad bang for the buck. Mostly rubber soles, but they do also come up with better than average to very good quality stuff at obviously higher price. But I have seen some deals for them in past to make purchasing worthwhile.

On higher end of scale, Edward Green and John Lobbs make classically British shoes and are very nice in general. I love these, and they last literally forever. I believe they also make shoes for Ralph Lauren, Hermes, and Vuitton - but without being a brand nut, I cannot confirm whether Vuitton on its upper scale stuff is better or worse than Lobbs or Green. I would imagine parity here considering Lobbs would not make trash for a label.

I could go on and on, but without knowing whats in the OP's purse, recommendations will be hard to guess.

10. Lord Asquith

Lord Asquith Well-Known Member

Guys - I'm looking for a pair of black and brown dress shoes and have been scouting this forum. There are many referencesso I'm little confused. I'm looking for a pair of very good shoes that is quality stuff, long lasting and comfortable. Please provide recommendations. thanks
    Get a plain toe slip on in black calf. And I'd stay away from EG, Lobb etc because these shoes if they are the ready made ones only come in 1 width!
    It's actually hard to find the shoe I mentioned and no one seems to be making them so then I'd recommend this;
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...ategory=120552

11. Lord Asquith

12. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Tricker's is also good intermediate between AE and EG/GG. I really love their boots. https://www.pediwear.co.uk/ Has a lot of decent shoes and is a great site to buy from. Can check out their catalog. If you are not familiar with buying from Europe, you look at the Non-VAT prices - since you are not in Europe.

13. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Have not seen a budget. Without a budget, it is extremely hard to know what to recommend.

AE's and Alden's are good shoes in the affordable zone for most incomes. General consensus here is Alden are slightly higher end over AE, but are about 20% more expensive. I think the trade off is worth it.

Also priced in the same zone are Italian brands like Ferragamo, Testoni and numerous others I cant remember (I dont generally buy Italian shoes). Opinion appears to be divided on Ferragamo, but quality appears to be somewhere around the above 2 labels.

Of course you have fashion houses, i.e. Prada, Gucci, Vuitton etc... If you can pick them up from eGay for under $400 they are not such a bad bang for the buck. Mostly rubber soles, but they do also come up with better than average to very good quality stuff at obviously higher price. But I have seen some deals for them in past to make purchasing worthwhile.

On higher end of scale, Edward Green and John Lobbs make classically British shoes and are very nice in general. I love these, and they last literally forever. I believe they also make shoes for Ralph Lauren, Hermes, and Vuitton - but without being a brand nut, I cannot confirm whether Vuitton on its upper scale stuff is better or worse than Lobbs or Green. I would imagine parity here considering Lobbs would not make trash for a label.

I could go on and on, but without knowing whats in the OP's purse, recommendations will be hard to guess.

My budget is 1K. Thanks for your suggestions.

14. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

I believe the made in the U.K. Peal and Co. _are_ Alfred Sargent (or historically C&J).
    If you were thinking about Peal, I'd recommend redirecting your energy toward CJ or AS - I have a pair of Peal shoes and love them but you HAVE got to be very careful what you buy...the issue is with quality control on the dye job...I wanted to get more of their offerings but the quality issue really put me off them. On to CJ...

15. Lord Asquith