Dress shoes recomendations ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sstomcat, Apr 7, 2011.

1. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Guys - I'm looking for a pair of black and brown dress shoes and have been scouting this forum. There are many referencesso I'm little confused. I'm looking for a pair of very good shoes that is quality stuff, long lasting and comfortable. Please provide recommendations. thanks

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

What is your budget?

3. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

Guys - I'm looking for a pair of black and brown dress shoes and have been scouting this forum. There are many referencesso I'm little confused. I'm looking for a pair of very good shoes that is quality stuff, long lasting and comfortable. Please provide recommendations. thanks
    Price range? EG - ~ $1,100.00 (depending) and awesome! (have a number of these) GG - ~ $1,100.00 (again, depending) and just as awesome (have a few of these too) Alden - ~ upper 400.00s to 650.00 (SC) very nice...have a few pair in varying styles etc...

4. MinnMD

MinnMD Active Member

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

As other's have stated, price range is important.

I personally do not like Alden lasts but some people on here love them.

Love Edward Greens! Check the B&S section for good deals.

6. NotchLapel

NotchLapel Well-Known Member

I am surprised that not many people recommend Florsheim here. I bought a pair of their limited wingtips and their very comfortable and sleek. Only $140 if your on a budget.

7. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

If this is your first pair of nice shoes, I would suggest you stay away from the expensive ones. It is far better to just try out a few cheaper shoes so you know what you actually like. Leather Soles vs Double Leather, Square vs Round Lasts, Calf vs Cordovan, Smooth vs Pebble Grain vs Suede, Brown vs Black vs Blue vs Burgundy, etc.

Once you are comfortable with your personal style then buy as expensive as you wish to splurge.

8. yeeth

yeeth Well-Known Member

I am surprised that not many people recommend Florsheim here. I bought a pair of their limited wingtips and their very comfortable and sleek. Only $140 if your on a budget.

+1 to that. never owned them long enough to see how durable they are though.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

+1 to that. never owned them long enough to see how durable they are though.

Corrected grain. A year tops and they are toast. I miss Style Forum. [​IMG]

10. Patek

Patek Senior member

I purchased one pair of Florsheims and after two months they started getting white crusty stuff in the creases that looked like salt sweat. I wiped them with a damp rag and the color came off. WTF! They looked like crap. I brought them back to the store and they sent them to Florsheim who said that it was my problem.

I never went back to the store to pick them up and I will never buy another pair of Florsheims.

11. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Price range?

EG - ~ $1,100.00 (depending) and awesome! (have a number of these)
    GG - ~ $1,100.00 (again, depending) and just as awesome (have a few of these too)
    Alden - ~ upper 400.00s to 650.00 (SC) very nice...have a few pair in varying styles
    etc...

Whats GG?

12. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

13. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

I purchased one pair of Florsheims and after two months they started getting white crusty stuff in the creases that looked like salt sweat. I wiped them with a damp rag and the color came off. WTF! They looked like crap. I brought them back to the store and they sent them to Florsheim who said that it was my problem.

I never went back to the store to pick them up and I will never buy another pair of Florsheims.

There are old Florsheim, and modern Florsheim... They are different beasts.

Vintage Florsheims are well made.

14. NotchLapel

NotchLapel Well-Known Member

So what do you guys recommend? Allen Edmund or Florsheim?

15. superego

superego Senior member

So what do you guys recommend? Allen Edmund or Florsheim?

If you can afford them, Allen Edmonds are pretty widely preferred to Florsheim. As a disclaimer, I have AE (for 5 years now) and don't much care for Florsheim.