• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes in the $200-250 range

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a leather soled black oxford, preferably plain or cap toe. $200-250 won't get me into a lot of the higher end shoes, especially good leather soled shoes... any suggestions? I'd much rather spend closer to $200...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several posters have previously recommended Johnston and Murphy at that price point.  If you're in the DC area, you will want to visit Church's in downtown DC, which seems to be having a perpetual 50% off sale, and Bally in Tysons Galleria, which often has a nice selection of shoes on sale.  I purchased my favorite pair of black oxfords from the latter for $195, discounted from $375.

On a side note, Bally seems to be going through some upheaval right now.  A salesman in the Beverly Hills Bally store told me that Scott Fellows is leaving after this season.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Churchs I have heard very good things about- but have never seen any in person. Bally I have seen and tried on some... never came away impressed at all. I will say it was from a lower price range than this, so it's all relative I suppose.

Stone

Reaction score
You can get good Allen-Edmonds shoes between $200-$250, ones I think you'll enjoy. I like Allen-Edmonds more than Johnston & Murphy, very good experiences with Allen-Edmonds' customer service.

Though, $200-$250 is at the higher end of Johnston & Murphy, so you should be getting the better examples of what J&M has to offer.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Johnston & Murphy to be a great choice; don't let the lower price discourage you. Another possibility might be Ferragamo on sale, or even Prada on sale. Your best bet is to go to an upscale dept. store with a good shoe dept. such as Nordstrom's, Neimans, Saks, or even Bloomingdales. During a good sale time there should be no reason why you can't find a really expensive pair on sale for around $200. My roomate got a pair of $470 Prada shoes for $210.

I would discourage you from buying Church's, just because the leather they use is so ugly. However their construction is impecable. Church's is probably the least expensive pair of hand made shoes to be found. I've ordered a pair from the DC store that was cheap as hell ($125...), but returned them.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should check out my favorite online shoe source, www.plal.com a GREAT place to get fine english shoes at a really good price (Grenson, Loake, Cheany, etc.); quoted in malaysian ringitts, just make the conversion for a really good american dollar price.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go to a good shoe shop and have your feet properly measured. All the better American makers Alden, Allen-Edmonds, Johnston & Murphy produce their dress shoes in a wide range of fittings. European manufacturers have stopped doing that. They only come in wide-ish (E or F) fittings. The exception is Ferrgamo who produce for the American (but not the European) market B, D and EE fittings.

As long as you have the choice of different fittings make use of it. Find the correct size; your feet will be grateful.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxx: That's a great site. I have a question. Are the Crockett & Jones shoes any good? And at about $203 a pair for their Oxfords, is that a good deal? C&J is the only British shoemaker I've heard of on that site, are the others there better or more reputable?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones might not be as well known as Church's but it is definitely a better product. The best English makes are John Lobb and Edward Green, they are superlative; Crockett & Jones is "only" very good and the hand grade range is very, very good. About 1/3 of C&J's output comes under their own name, the rest under a number of prestigious labels. In the States, for example they produce Polo "British bench made" and Brook Brothers' "J. Peale & Co" label.

The other manufacturers on this website: Barker, Chaney and Loake are all right, but nothing to get exited about. But as I pointed out, C&J, in common with all british shoes in that price range, only come in wide-ish fittings. If that is what you need, fine but have your foot measured beforehand to be sure.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, that is a very good deal. The list price here in London for C&J hand grade is £ 265 - 300 which is $ 400 - 450.

Just make sure that you don't have to pay too much to US custom and excise. (But you would also have to pay, had you ordered the shoes from England. It would be even more, as taxes are based on the purchase price.) Even if (reasonable) tax becomes due, you still got yourself a bargain.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stu--
i have the hand-grade C&J black oxfords, the Whitehall. same shoe carried by ben silver catalogue/ online site. a GREAT shoe, i like it a lot, esp. as i paid much less for it using the plal.com site. lighter than my allen edmonds (as american shoes tend to be heavier, i think), very elegant and nice hand-work and markings in them.

Fanthom

Reaction score
Have anyone else here, besides The_Foxx, done business with plal.com?

Marcus

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads