• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shoes for people with feet problems

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So last week, I had a visit to the podiatrist who told me that I had a rather severe case of Plantar Fascitis. Basically, it is an inflammatory condition on the tissue on my heel and the arch of the foot. As a result, wearing shoes with non-rubber soles tends to be rather painful. And at my doctor's recommendation, I have just ordered custom insoles to cushion my feet. This basically makes it impossible for me to use any of my existing shoes because the insole simply makes the fit very tight and uncomfortable. My first thought was getting some Chelsea boots with rubber soles, or something similar (since I would need some ankle support). Have folks here had similar problems? Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

presence

Reaction score
I also have plantar facititus. I wear custom made orthotics 2-3 days per week. My podiatrist doesn't want me to wear the orthodicts every day. Eventually your feet will not readjust. See if you can get an initial cortizone shot (but just one). That will make a tremendous difference. Gradually the pain goes away. Asics are the absolute best sneakers for people with plantar facititus (what ever the **** the spelling is). They provide the best arch support. Definitely get a good pair of orthodicts. Your health insurance might cover part of it. Good luck!

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I had a bad case when I started my surgical residency - on my feet for 27 hours at a time. You should try to stretch your feet by standing on the balls of your feet - I used a 2 inch (5 cm) book, and let your heels hit the ground. Try taking an anti-inflammatory for a week or two if you can.
Eventually it will desist, and you can wear your regular shoes again.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has it- she's got these various hard rubber balls with nubbies that she uses every night to stretch and exercise her feet. She's just about "cured" herself of the problem after just several weeks.

I'd say, spend the time and money to overcome the ailment rather than on shoes just now (unless of course you need something to wear to work that won't hurt you and you currently have no such shoe).

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you have considered bespoke shoes...but the price is an issue. If you can afford them...go for it...although there will be an 8 month wait if you use say G&G

As a more price-competitive alternative, may I suggest you consider an MTO/RTW shoe from Gaziano & Girling or EG. I recommend them since I own them both and the fit of the shoes are far and away better than any other shoe I've worn. They have leather soles but they provide greater comfort than any rubber soled shoes I've worn in the past. These companies use a more pricier leather sole (which is reflective in the more premium price of these shoes). At the end of the day, my feet are not as tired as when I wore other lesser brand leather or rubber soled shoes

Both G&G and EG offer a selection of soles other than leather...whether it be micro or crepe or dainite soles for example

mfadam

Reaction score
I've had issues with it from playing squash. It is very frustrating and I have found that dress shoes + walking around city sidewalks can aggravate it. As mentioned above there are different stretching routines that help (especially ones that loosen your calves/hamstrings). I don't know that custom orthotics in a bigger dress shoe with leather soles would make a huge difference.

I try to wear athletic type shoes when I have to do any serious walking and switch to nicer shoes at the office. Yeah it's kinda the secretary wearing sneakers bit, but you do what you have to do to minimize the fascitis as it is no fun. Also, I've found that stiff shoes are worse than broken in ones. I think ideally your feet get to flex and stretch as you walk and dress shoes aren't always great in this regard.

mikeman

Reaction score
I think I have the same problem,it started a few weeks ago.whenever i wear any shoe it feels like my heel is pushing on the shoe,and also my heel feels like it sits on the inside of the heel.Does this sound like what you guys have/had?I am planning on seeing a doctor since I am a diabetic.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, folks. Yes, I have ordered custom orthotic inserts - but it is going to be a couple of weeks before I get them. I did get a steroid shot in my heel, but while it helped a little, it still makes it hard for me to wear shoes. I guess my biggest problem is that my work requires me to wear dress shoes; however, my heel problems make it hard for me to find comfortable dress shoes. I'd probably try a couple of boots with comfortable soles, and if that does not work, go the bespoke route.
Originally Posted by mikeman
I think I have the same problem,it started a few weeks ago.whenever i wear any shoe it feels like my heel is pushing on the shoe,and also my heel feels like it sits on the inside of the heel.Does this sound like what you guys have/had?I am planning on seeing a doctor since I am a diabetic.
You should go to a doctor as soon as you can. The more you prolong the problem, the worse it gets.
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
My wife has it- she's got these various hard rubber balls with nubbies that she uses every night to stretch and exercise her feet. She's just about "cured" herself of the problem after just several weeks. I'd say, spend the time and money to overcome the ailment rather than on shoes just now (unless of course you need something to wear to work that won't hurt you and you currently have no such shoe).
Do you know what the things your wife uses are called? And yes, I have been getting treatment on my ailment. However, I'm *also* looking for comfortable dress shoes I could wear in my condition, with enough room for custom orthotic inserts (I mistakenly called them custom insoles since I was drawing a blank as to their name). Most dress shoes make it very uncomfortable given my current condition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads