• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes for all-day walking

paulraphael

Reaction score
I found this I thought was interesting and it makes me think sports shoes are very new. This one is 100+ years old looks like a dress shoe with some spikes.

2_dutton_and_thorowgood.jpg

Back in the 20th century I had some Sidi bike racing cleats that were a bit like this. They were built like leather-soled dress shoes, with a kangaroo leather upper, and cleat on the bottom (and a titanium shank!)

The leather was so soft it moulded to your foot and you could see the outline of your toes on the outside. Back then cyclists used toe clips and straps to hold their feet down to the pedal, the shoe upper itself didn't need to be stiff and reinforced.

Jasonindenver

Reaction score
Chelsea boots. Crockett & Jones a good place to start.

X2 on the Crockett and Jones.

I actually just came back from a 2 week trip to Italy and Switzerland that required extensive walking in iffy weather as well as dressing up for business events at night.

I brought my Crockett and Jones Brecon chukkas with a dainite sole and they were perfect. Ironically, I stopped at a very nice shoe shop in Zurich and saw their Chelsea VIII with the city rubber sole. I almost bought them but worried about having room to bring them home. I have asked for these as a Christmas present from the wife.

On all of my GYW boots, I drop a thin leather Tacco insole which adds a slight amount of cushioning and, more importanty, adds a nice thermal break to make the boot a touch more comfortable in colder weather.

Jasonindenver

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention that while I like my Cole Hahn Zero Grand oxfords for a "dressy' appearing casual travel shoe, I find them far too unsupportive for walking for hours at a time.

Reaction score
Good choice with the Crockett & Jones!..and rubber soles are the way to go if you're looking for comfort, they just absorb significantly more shock than traditional leather soles (but there's something about leather soles that just irreplaceable!)

You can also check out Wolf & Sheperd, although we have never personally tried them, they seem to have good reviews online.

ixk

Reaction score
I'd go for derby shoes. You can adjust them a little bit for comfort if your feet are swollen or smth. Unless you go for something like a highly fashionable Corthay derby, they won't look as good as oxford shoes though.

papa kot

Reaction score
May I recommend nice sneakers? No, not the athletic variety from Nike but something from Lobb, Carmina (they have a new offering), Lanvin, etc. When I travel, I arrange my wardrobe around such shoes so that I can walk in comfort.

If you must stick with comfortable shoes, shoot for something with rubber soles.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have two pair of Allen Edmonds' Peyton. Basically leather sneakers. Kind of odd-looking but very comfy and great for urban hiking.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a couple 10-15 miles days in Kyoto last weekn in Crockett and Jones Conistons and was quite pleased.

printyra

Reaction score
If your style leans more casual, get yourself some Tyrolean shoes from Paraboot or Heschung. I got a pair of Heschungs (brown suede) from No Man Walks Alone and I was surprised at how comfortable they were from the first wearing. I imagine they will only become more comfortable over time. These shoes were originally designed for walking around the Alps.

edit: link to NMWA: https://nomanwalksalone.com/makers/heschung

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics