• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shoes for a Frequent Traveler

swetooth9

Reaction score
I am currently working as a consultant and just completed my first project. Dress code was business casual, so I alternated between loafers. However, my next project will require suits Monday thru Thursday, so I'll need dressier shoes.

Should I go "all out" and get myself two pairs of nice oxfords? I've been eyeing the black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for my black suit and the walnut or bourbon Allen Edmonds Strand for my navy suit. They are $350 each. Or should I go with cheaper alternatives such as the following:

1. John W Nordstrom Lido in black ($175)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-...d=0&fashionColor=&resultback=639#BVRRWidgetID

2. John W Nordstrom Adrian oxford in brown ($175)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-...tualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=639

The reason I ask is because of the heavy traveling required in my job (100% travel) and the road/weather conditions that my shoes are exposed to - I wouldn't feel as bad if I roughed up some shoes that weren't as expensive. On my last project, my shoes had to endure the rain, snow, and rocky road surfaces when walking to and from the office (which could be a pretty good walk from the parking spots we got). Also, they salt the roads heavily when snow is expected (which is often), which aren't good for the shoes. I would definitely wipe them down and keep them clean if I invested $350+ per shoe, but I don't know if it's better to just wait til I switch jobs to a non-travel one (where conditions are more predictable on a daily basis) before investing in the higher quality shoes. In addition, the rush to take shoes on and off at the airport twice a week would increase wear and tear on the shoes as well I would think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing cheap shoes will make travel worse. I travel often and wear my better shoes. They're comfortable, look good, and can handle the occasional abuse.

swetooth9

Reaction score
thank you both for your responses. I am still considering getting the AE shoes if they can withstand the occasional abuse. Thanks for the Loake suggestions - they look nice! However, I'm leaning more towards oxfords

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I am currently working as a consultant and just completed my first project. Dress code was business casual, so I alternated between loafers. However, my next project will require suits Monday thru Thursday, so I'll need dressier shoes.

Should I go "all out" and get myself two pairs of nice oxfords? I've been eyeing the black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for my black suit and the walnut or bourbon Allen Edmonds Strand for my navy suit. They are $350 each. Or should I go with cheaper alternatives such as the following:

1. John W Nordstrom Lido in black ($175)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-...d=0&fashionColor=&resultback=639#BVRRWidgetID

2. John W Nordstrom Adrian oxford in brown ($175)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-...tualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=639

The reason I ask is because of the heavy traveling required in my job (100% travel) and the road/weather conditions that my shoes are exposed to - I wouldn't feel as bad if I roughed up some shoes that weren't as expensive. On my last project, my shoes had to endure the rain, snow, and rocky road surfaces when walking to and from the office (which could be a pretty good walk from the parking spots we got). Also, they salt the roads heavily when snow is expected (which is often), which aren't good for the shoes. I would definitely wipe them down and keep them clean if I invested $350+ per shoe, but I don't know if it's better to just wait til I switch jobs to a non-travel one (where conditions are more predictable on a daily basis) before investing in the higher quality shoes. In addition, the rush to take shoes on and off at the airport twice a week would increase wear and tear on the shoes as well I would think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
I used to travel and walk alot in my previous life....
My best tip is to go for the following:

1) Design/Style: Derby open lace-up, just as dressier & easier to slide on/off in planes/trains/autmobiles.
2) Sole type: Rubber Dainite - It's discreet, doesn't look like you're climbing a mountain. Handles all types of surface to air chemicals; snow, rain, acid rain; salt and more bloody salt.
3) Leather: rich black calf leather
4) Budget: Spend at least $400-$500 on makers like C&J's. Vass is top-end $550/$600

Follow the above rules and your shoes will easily last 10+ years, mine have. In that period I have gone through several German cars; 2 wifes and 3 houses....I still have the same pair of C&J's...The good thing about the 2 pairs you picked from Nordstrom - they will get to visit the re-cycle bin within 6 months wear.

Give Crocketts factory shop a call every saturday morning and they will have many subs for sale costing no more than $250. Tel +44 1604 631 515 ask for Shirley/Barbara if she still around.

Oxford close lace
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Hallam-Black-Wax

Derby open lace
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Norwich-Black

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Don't worry about sole options; you could always resole to danite/rubber sole after the original worn out.
Depends on the shoe he buys - if they are gluey stick-on jobs then it's a gonna once the're worn.

swetooth9

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the detailed post! Very helpful information that I'll definitely consider for my purchase. I appreciate the phone number as well for the factory shop!

swetooth9

Reaction score
thanks so much for the input! I'm definitely considering rubber soles for these, since I expect to do a lot of walking in the elements and parking lot surfaces

Thanks!

Kwaker

Reaction score
You don't have to compromise with synthetic-soled dress shoes ... go with the AEs and bring along some Totes galoshes. They're light, packable and inexpensive (<$20 vs >$50 for Swims).

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Gucci loafers from Bluefly that were awesome for travel. The red and green ribbon is a little pretentious maybe, but people know it just means quality. Definitely cool if you're in Europe or someplace sophisticated like that.

nishan22

Reaction score
I found myself traveling a lot last year. Picked up a pair of the Allen Edmond graysons - super easy at the airport and can be dressed up or down as appropriate.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just looked those up because I was curious. The tassels are kind of out-of-fashion, but I guess if you can balance them with other eccentric details (metal tie clip with an animal head on it, a tweedish cabbie hat, an old-fashioned looking vest, etc.), you might be onto an interesting look. Definitely wear them with some nice broken-in jeans--you know the ones with the selvedge that shows when you fold up the hems? Yeah, now I'm digging it. You just need to totally run with the "sartorial" theme. Like, I'd definitely not wear a suit jacket, but maybe it would be cool just to carry one over your shoulders. You have to look accessorized and layered but not in an artificial way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads