• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shoes for a Frequent Traveler

Pembers

Reaction score

I just looked those up because I was curious. The tassels are kind of out-of-fashion, but I guess if you can balance them with other eccentric details (metal tie clip with an animal head on it, a tweedish cabbie hat, an old-fashioned looking vest, etc.), you might be onto an interesting look. Definitely wear them with some nice broken-in jeans--you know the ones with the selvedge that shows when you fold up the hems? Yeah, now I'm digging it. You just need to totally run with the "sartorial" theme. Like, I'd definitely not wear a suit jacket, but maybe it would be cool just to carry one over your shoulders. You have to look accessorized and layered but not in an artificial way.

From a detached SF onlooker:

You'd be better off picking on a thread started by somebody who deserves it. The OP seems quite nice. This type of query has always popped up and has nothing to do with the decay-of-a-flawed-but-magnificent-civilisation narrative, which has something in it but is horrifyingly mawkish.

I have an idea of it as a sort of menswear Radetzky March in which the establishment of the FNB forum is the Battle of Solferino (which probably makes Manton Emperor Franz Joseph), voxsartoria is Count Chojnicki, and so on.

Lear

Reaction score
^^^

I'm ashamed to display my ignorance in such a public manner; haven't got a clue as to what any of that means :embar:. Makes me wish I'd listened more at school.

Lear

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, not to be mean, but are you traveling or do you have a long commute? if you are flying to the same place every Monday and returning every Monday, that is basically a long commute, and it isn't that different from what every office worker needs. the idea of two pairs of oxfords, maybe if you want to splurge on cordovan, is a good one. I like to have all my shoes in one color, its less flexible, but it is easier to polish them all in one color.

investing in good shoes is always a great idea, you want them to last and stay in good shape.

I go through airports a lot, and I use laced shoes, I don't like the feel of slip-ons, but some people like loafers, or Chelsea boots, to travel in. I think that monks aren't substantially better than laced shoes for taking on and off in airports.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I go through airports a lot, and I use laced shoes, I don't like the feel of slip-ons, but some people like loafers, or Chelsea boots, to travel in. I think that monks aren't substantially better than laced shoes for taking on and off in airports.
I also wear either laced shoes or double monks. I've never understood choosing footwear based on the couple of minutes to take them off and put them back on in airports.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to prefer loafers while I'm in travel mode. If I'm flying commercially they are easy to slip on and off ... and they are comfortable. If I'm flying privately, they still fulfill the requirement for comfort. If it's a long haul flight, I often pack slippers in my carry-on. Feet tend to swell when flying and if I have trouble getting back into my shoes (that has happened) I can just deplane in the slippers.

The shoes I'll need when I get to my destination are packed in the luggage that goes below (or in back).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, invest in good shoes. Shell cordovan is more expensive but can take abuse from the elements better. Monkstraps are a more formal alternative than loafers and can be worn with suits, but also have the advantage of slipping on and off quite easily.

From a detached SF onlooker:

You'd be better off picking on a thread started by somebody who deserves it. The OP seems quite nice. This type of query has always popped up and has nothing to do with the decay-of-a-flawed-but-magnificent-civilisation narrative, which has something in it but is horrifyingly mawkish.

This.

Beach Bum

Reaction score

I also wear either laced shoes or double monks. I've never understood choosing footwear based on the couple of minutes to take them off and put them back on in airports.
completely agree, must be infatuation from that movie with George Clooney...Up in the Air

swetooth9

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll go try on some shoes at Nordstrom tomorrow (as well as some other stores at the mall). Not sure if i'm ready to shell out $600 for some cordovans though - I may decide to get some "entry-level" shoes ($350ish) as my first foray into the quality dress shoe market.

eddyjas

Reaction score
I really prefer these ideas as i love to walking and traveling.

Pembers

Reaction score

^^^

I'm ashamed to display my ignorance in such a public manner; haven't got a clue as to what any of that means :embar:. Makes me wish I'd listened more at school.

Lear

It's just a book (by Joseph Roth, about the decline of the Austro-Hungarian empire), which either you've read or you haven't. It's excellent though, I'd really recommend it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads