• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress shoes and foot corns?

soupcxan

Reaction score
I have two pairs of AE shoes - Park Ave and Mcallister - both 10.5D (and both are the 5 last). I've been wearing them for about 3 years, alternating between them during the work week. Lately I have developed corns on the outside edge of my pinkie toes on both feet. Until these developed, the shoes seemed comfortable, but now they seem to be pressing on the exact spot with the corn, which hurts. The Mcallister seems to be more uncomfortable than the Park Ave. Looking inside the shoe, I can see that the inside leather is worn on the area adjacent to where my toes hurt. I drive to the office and I don't do much walking at work so not sure why this problem is developing. Generally the shoes feel like they have plenty of room inside - they are not crushing my feet. Before the AEs I had a pair of rubber-soled Eccos, which were very comfortable, but obviously not as nice to look at. I tried getting a thin pair of foam inserts for my shoes, but with the inserts in there was not enough room left to comfortably fit my feet.

Could my AEs be the wrong size or width for me? Do I need to get one of the AEs with a rubber sole? Appreciate any suggestions.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mate go to you doctor asap. And don't wear the AEs until this is sorted. I had corn on the outer side of pinky toe as well. Only on the left side. It was painful as hell.I did ignore it to a point I couldn't wear any shoes for longer than 30 mins. My doctor said only way was to cut it off. I was scared so used DuoFilm gel (advise from my Pharmacists ) It took about a month and half to heal.And I had to wear very wide and round rubber soled shoes during that time.
The problem is your feet probably grown wider. So maybe try using EE/EEE width shoes.
I had to change my shoe size from E to EEE and all good now. I still wear my old E shoes but maybe maximum once a week. And I take them off once I am at my desk .
**And don't wear those shoes until you see a doctor. **

knezz

Reaction score
No need to be afraid of having the corns cut off by a doctor. It's much faster than the off the shelf medicated pads. After they are cut you should be good to go in a week (if not sooner).

Have you gained a little weight? I find as I gain and loose weight my feet expand and contract. I'm on the loosing weight sid now and my shoes are begining to feel looser.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had that problem with my AE shell Leeds and cobbler leather Shelton on both feet, same spot as you. Had the corns cut off and they came back a little less than a year later. I was able to narrow it down to those two shoes even though I have other AE shoes on the #1 last and no problem. After having the corns removed the second time I slightly and carefully stretched both shoes with a bunion attachment at that spot and have not had a problem since. As mentioned weight gain or loss will cause a problem. And it also appears common for men in the age group 40-early 50's to have their feet grow some. I was a 9.5 B or C most of my life. I am a pretty solid 10 D now and weigh less than I used to when I was younger. Not to imply that I'm old now.....

soupcxan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to try a bunion stretcher - I wanted something to stretch my shoes in that spot but didn't know what it was called. And I may try going down a half size but up in the width (e.g. from 10.5D to 10E or something like that).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 116 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%