• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shoe Soles

bnussbaum12

Reaction score
I have been interested in some Allen Edmond dress shoes for work due to the good reviews I read about here. I currently have Johnston & Murhpy's which aren't as highly praised.

My question was about the design on the sole of the dress shoes. All of Allen Edmond's shoes seem to have a plain sole which gets very scuffed and looks bad after a couple of wears. I much prefer soles that have some design or even traction (this may help when it's wet and slippery) like this:

1_72667_LG_1.JPG

Do any Allen Edmonds dress shoes have this kind of sole? Or is it possible for a shoe repair shop to add it?

Thanks!

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure! Some cheaper AE models have a rubber sole like you picture there. Typically on cheaper shoes (ruling out some Dainite soles on expensive shoes), a rubber sole is the mark of a cheaply made glued on sole that will wear out and fall apart very quickly.

My suggestion is to buy a nice welted shoe with a leather sole, and then simply go to your local cobbler and have him apply a rubber topy over the bottom of your shoe for $10-20. Best of both worlds.

bnussbaum12

Reaction score
Thanks- do most people add the rubber topy to their more expensive dress shoes or just leave the exposed leather sole to get scuffed?

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its a personal opinion. Some people topy all their shoes. I'd say more people on this forum don't do it. Personally I dont. Some of my shoes (pair of Alden Indy Boots in particular) have them because I wanted to be able to kick around and not worry so much.

phailing101

Reaction score
Stick with the leather sole and buy some swims or other rubber covers to wear outside on those days its raining/wet and you need to walk outside.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bnussbaum12
Thanks- do most people add the rubber topy to their more expensive dress shoes or just leave the exposed leather sole to get scuffed?

I have topy's on mine. Advantages outweigh the disadvantages(if any). Cost and time it takes for resole made me a convert.

Roger Everett

Reaction score

My question was about the design on the sole of the dress shoes. All of Allen Edmond's shoes seem to have a plain sole which gets very scuffed and looks bad after a couple of wears. I much prefer soles that have some design or even traction (this may help when it's wet and slippery) like this:

If you're a young man on the way up -- the only people who will see your soles are the ones you walk over on way up

[/quote] Do any Allen Edmonds dress shoes have this kind of sole? Or is it possible for a shoe repair shop to add it?

[/quote]

As mentioned you can always have an overlay installed to the soles

bnussbaum12

Reaction score
what's the typical pricing to get the topy over overlay? (in US$)

ThatGuy

Reaction score

I have four pairs of high quality Goodyear welted shoes. None of them have rubber topy's attached. I like the look and feel of leather. This is my personal preference. After an hour of walking around, slipperiness should not be an issue...

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slipperiness should not be an issue
I agree that 90% of the time it's okay. I'll admit there were several recent incidents where I almost slipped on hospital flooring that was wet. For this reason, I decided to get mine topied also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads