• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoe opinions

lepermessiah

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting these (the brown ones) to wear with a deep navy suit for job interviews. I'm on a student budget so spending a fortune isn't an option and these shoes are on sale. I live in Canada, so I know while a rubber sole isn't as classy as a leather sole, the shoes should hold up better in the fall and in winter conditions. I'm looking at Allen Edmonds too, but they are twice the price and the shipping is $25, but of course they are better quality and should last longer so that is something I am considering. It should be noted that the shoes I'm looking to get are made in Italy which seems a little sketchy but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't expect anyone here to have had experience owning the Browns brand shoes, but I'm just looking for opinions on the shoe appearance, if they are too casual looking for a suit, ugly, etc or am I better off buying some AEs.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real problem is that they are bluchers, not balmorals. Do Google Images searches with the terms (and the word "shoes"). Balmorals are more formal and therefore more appropriate for interviews.

Last edited:

palk

Reaction score
As for most things, it depends on the setting, i.e., the formality associated with the type of jobs / places you're interviewing for / at. So if you're interviewing for the role of prime minister of the UK, I'd recommend you consider a black cap-toe oxford, but for most desk jobs, the shoes you're looking at would do nicely. The rule of thumb with dress shoes is that they should be darker than the suit, so I'd recommend not wearing a charcoal grey suit with them, and instead a light grey or indigo.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Light gray or indigo" statement at the end basically invalidates that post. Though it does point out he wants the shoe in brown, which would be the wrong choice for most interviews.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Derby closure and brown colour technically makes fairly informal.

Are they suitable for an interview? That depends on the formality. Normally if you are going formal enough to wear a suit then Id we a pair of black oxfords, probably with a toecap in black. Its boring, I'd not really wear them out of choice but its better to be remembered for your interview answers and not your fashion choice (unless your applying for a job in fashion)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads