Dress shoe creases...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EricMangan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. EricMangan

EricMangan Member

I have just invested in a nice new pair of dressy shoes and want to keep them from creasing because they are very soft and plain in front. I am wondering if anyone has any tricks of the trade in this problem because the only thing i can think of is moisturize with a leather conditioner and put those shoe trees in them while not wearing them. the only thing is that i don't want to stretch the shoes out any because they fit perfect right now.​

These are the shoes by the way
    [​IMG]

2. malat

malat Senior member

Don't want creases? Keep them in the box, and no matter what you do, don't ever put them on your feet.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. stylex

stylex New Member

what shoes are those? and do they have rubber soles?

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

5. EricMangan

EricMangan Member

they are ALDO GUILHELME's and yes they have a hard rubber sole, yet still very comfortable.

6. EricMangan

EricMangan Member

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

these are pieces of shit. The last thing you should be worried about is creases on the upper.

Maybe for a torrential rain beater

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

You can waddle like a penguin to prevent your feet from articulating.

[​IMG]

9. EricMangan

EricMangan Member

wow, someone has some backbone to throw a comment like that around
    i hope you saying that made u feel better but please end your posts there if ur gonna be so negative.

10. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Any competent cobbler should be able to install a pair of wheels on the back heel. That way you can glide and never have to crease the leather. I took mine from a neighborhood kid's Heely's.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Eric, welcome to Styleforum.
    Your feet bend when walking. Leather will bend with the motion of your feet and it is perfectly normal for shoes to crease. Do not be concerned about it. You should have several pair of shoes in your rotation. Never wear the same shoes 2 days or more in a row. Your feet lose approximately a quarter cup of moisture during the day. This moisture is absorbed by your socks and shoes. Therefore, you are correct, that using shoe trees made of untreated wood (preferrably cedar) will absorb moisture out of the leather and also help to minimise the creasing on the shoes. All leather will crease with one exception, that is 'Shell Cordovan' which is made from a subcutaneous membrane from a horses butt. Only Shell Cordovan shoes will not crease but they are also more expensive than shoe uppers made from calfskin. Shoes made from Shell Cordovan leather start at around $600 but with care will be beautiful even 20 years from now.
    You are new here, and as you are buying ALDO, I would encourage you to stay with our community and 'Lurk and Learn' to understand and appreciate that there are far better shoes to buy and wear than Aldo. Aldo shoes will get no love on this forum, but as you learn more about quality shoes, you'll be moving up to better manufacturers.
    If you haven't yet worn these shoes, return them immediately for a refund. Then some back here and we will help you select something of much higher quality for your money. Be prepared to spend at least $200-250.
    Keep us updated.

12. EricMangan

EricMangan Member

well thank you for the respect of actually giving me a substantial answer with some meat behind it. Although i would love to return the shoes for some real designer dress shoes, i do not have the luxury of spending $200-250 on shoes at this stage in my life...YET. I bought these shoes for a more casual yet dapper look while staying in my budget. I have slowly moved out of the teenage clothing of jeans and a graphic tee, into more of the sophisticated yet still spontaneous look of the younger generation (dress shoes not sneakers, with some nice fitting jeans and a button up with vest or even a blazer). So while stepping into the fashion realm, unfortunately i have a budget and think these shoes will do exactly what I bought them for.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

Although I have to agree to that this Aldo is a piece of $#!+, I have to commend OP for having the discipline and knowing his financial limitations and at the same time making the effort to improve his style and appearance.
    ...and I always appreciate MoL thoughtful and constructive guidance....

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

If you are content at this point with your purchase, that is fine ofcourse. Since you are not yet ready to invest more into better quality, it would still be prudent to spend time reading the threads here. This way, when you are ready, you'll enter into a much higher level of quality, comfort and style that I am sure you will find more enduringly satifying.
    As a starting point, you may want to investigate Allen Edmonds as a springboard to better shoes. Allen Edmonds shoes (or better) are recraftable. In other words, when their leather soles eventually wear out, you can have the shoes completely re-soled for between $100-$130 or so, allowing you to continue to enjoy the shoes. Recrafting literally breathes new life into a pair of shoes. Depending on how the shoes are treated, they can be recrafted more than once. Ultimately it saves one money. Also, as you may or may not be aware, Allen Edmonds also makes their factory rejects available for purchase. Called 'Seconds', these shoes are every bit as good quality but may bear a blemish here or there. These minor defects will not affect the performance of the shoes, yet are sold at substantial discount. This is where it is possible to purchase a higher quality shoe at a minimal price. It is possible to purchase AE seconds for around $200 and sometimes even less. This is much less money than a $325 retail for factory 'firsts'. It is just something to consider for the future. Best regards, and again, welcome to SF.