• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts

Classic

Reaction score
A recent order for 3 MTM dress shirts sparked a lively debate at home and made for an interesting evening.
On average I buy 7-10 dress shirts per year, a combination of RTW and MTM. I would appreciate hearing from others if this is low, average or high.
Please limit the discussion on dress shirts only, as the number of sport/casual shirt purchase is also a sensitive topic.
Thanks.

regularjoe

Reaction score
My numbers are higher (~20), but I've been seriously investing in dress shirts for about 4 years. That doesn't take into account how many I ended up giving away to charity or throwing out simply because I wasn't sure what I was doing early on.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on your social situation, and how often you need to wear dress shirts to work. For some people, their clothes are an investment.

You shouldn't feel guilty if you really enjoy them. It is your money. Some guys choose to spend their money on cars and wine. You just happen to spend it on dress shirts.

rayk

Reaction score
You shouldn't feel guilty if you really enjoy them. It is your money. Some guys choose to spend their money on cars and wine. You just happen to spend it on dress shirts.

Marvelously put.  Bravo..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A recent order for 3 MTM dress shirts sparked a lively debate at home and made for an interesting evening.

I keep a half dozen dress shirts in the wardrobe for contigency use only, but then again, I go to work in jeans and vintage shirts every day, and my moniker isn't "classic." If you enjoy them and you're not hawking your kids toys or wife's jewelry to afford them, more power to you. However, if you get in a really big argument with your significant other about them, please tell me, and I will be sure to search the Goodwill bins in your neighbourhood for the next couple of days.

Tom

Reaction score
I own approximately 10 dress shirts. 1/2 of them don;t fit properly because I suck at buying shirts. The other half are ok but only two are really great. Therefore, I plan on searching out about 10 really nice shirts this year, then no more for a couple of years.

Tom

gregory

Reaction score
I am a student, and I purchase about 5 shirts every year in the $30-80 range, from places like Polo RL, BB, Lands' End, LLBean, etc. However, after knowing (and then realizing) the difference between a good and bad shirt (thanks to this and other forums), and having two MTM shirts made, I now have, if you will, adopted higher standards
smile.gif
My two MTM shirts were made by a tailor in Asia whom my father has been patronizing for over 30 years. Cost = $25 each shirt. It is probably the same quality as a Polo RL, but I'd choose fit over fabric quality any day. A plain, perfectly-fitting dress shirt improves one's appearence incredibly. Now that I have adopted "higher standards", I anticipate buying about 12 dress shirts this year. At least half, I think, will be ordered from Jantzen Tailor (www.jantzentailor.com) - at about $40, they are ridiculously cheap. Their quality, I heard, is exceptional. I'm waiting for my first shirt to arrive ... eagerly, I might add. When it does, I'll post pictures here
smile.gif
I think I'm going to pick up some Zegnas, as I like their patterns, and I can probably get them for about $99 each at the Woodbury Premium Outlets in New York. During my last two trips there, I picked up four dunhill shirts for about $30-$50 and a Dunhill watch with crocodile-skin strap marked down from $900+ to $350. However, with the discovery of Jantzen Tailors, I wonder if it might even make sense for me to buy shirts from anywhere else (apart from the day I can afford $600+ Kitons, etc). Gentlemen, thanks for reading this.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally try to order 1 or 2 borrelli MTM shirts per year, and look for the rest on ebay (stocking borrelli these days, don't go much into thomas pink and others anymore).

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Gregory, I'm also a student. Good to hear that you're building a collection. Just one thing...expensive is not necessarily better. Kiton shirts, which cost up to $720 RTW, are grossly expensive for RTW. Kiton's MTM is probably in the same general price range as its RTW. If I spend that much money I had better be getting a custom product. Geneva Custom Shirts in NYC offers custom shirts from ~$150 or $175-~$300, with a (loosely set) minimum initial order of 3 or 4 shirts. Mr. Alex Kabbaz makes custom shirts for $475-$775(in cotton; I don't know the pricing for shirts of other fabrics) with a minimum initial order of 6. There are satisfied customers of both these establishments on StyleForum.

Classic

Reaction score
Esquire, I wear dress shirts at work 3-4 /week, while social outings are generally twice /week, consequently IMO the shirts are put to good use.
However, the reality of the situation, as rayk correctly called it, is that I am a clothes junky and clothes, especially dress shirts are a passion. (rayk, sorry for taking quotes out of context)
Thanks to all for your comments.

Joe G

Reaction score
There was a short period (maybe a year-and-a-half) after I finished grad school in which I frankly went crazy. I literally bought or had made almost 200 shirts, ranging from mass market (Zara, et. al.) to fully bespoke linen formal shirts (Knize).

Before that, I usually bought one high-quality white shirt, one formal shirt, and a couple other shirts of varying quality every year.

Since my clothes-buying binge I've bought little to nothing. At least my tastes are fairly classic, so what I bought will last me a while. Since then, I've edited my wardrobe a bit, and I only order new stuff as replacements.

I even passed up a Brioni shirt in my size and a pleasing pattern (although not as wide a collar spread as I prefer) marked down to e40 last December, because I didn't need it.

Peace,

JG

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the last little while, I've been buying about three new shirts a month - at least in part because I'm still building a wardrobe. My definition of 'dress shirt', however, may differ slightly from yours, especially in terms of color and pattern - I like mine to possess maximum versatility, and be equally suitable with jeans as with a suit (to my eye, anyway). Once I reach Joe's magic number of 200 ('sup, Joe?), I'll probably stop. Hmm. No, I've thought about it, and I probably won't. Â
biggrin.gif

gregory

Reaction score
I like mine to possess maximum versatility, and be equally suitable with jeans as with a suit (to my eye, anyway).
Yes, I actually think dress shirts look terrific with jeans. I like to pair plain sky blue shirts, gingham shirts, and small windowpane shirts with dark quality jeans. Conversely, I find many of the casual shirts out there far too vulgar, besides the fact that they are often not offered in neck/sleeve sizes. Understatement ... is key. :)

Classic

Reaction score
While it may cause concern among the fashion experts, I wear dress shirts, even those with french cuffs, with jeans on weekends and or after work. I have received many a compliment on this.

gregory

Reaction score
While it may cause concern among the fashion experts, I wear dress shirts, even those with french cuffs, with jeans on weekends and or after work. Â I have received many a compliment on this.
I'm not a fashion expert, but I highly approve of your behavior.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads