• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts wont fit

Toyboy98

Reaction score
I have plenty of dress shirts that doesnt fit properly. Im not the biggest guy on earth but I have built a little bit of muscle at the gym. The problem is that if I buy a slim fit shirt, it will look so good on my arms and chest area, but it will be tight on my belly.
If I buy a regular fit shirt, arms and chest are loose but belly doesnt look like a football.
If i buy bigger size slim fit, it will be too long and look like a dress.
Is there any way I can make this work other than building alot of muscle to fill the regular fit shirt or lower my fat percentage for the slim fit?

Building muscle always comes with little bit of fat and usually I have low fat percentage only on summer.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
This is what drove me to getting tailor-made shirts. RTW shirts which fitted my neck would be massively oversized elsewhere, even 'extra slim fit' models.

Have a look at some local bespoke or online MTM options. There's no need to buy ill-fitting shirts!

Midnight

Reaction score
What are the brands and cuts of the slim fit shirts and regular shirts you are buying? If you give us more information we should be able to give better advice.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depending on how your shirts fit you, you should be able to get them altered easily at your local tailor's. Buy shirts that fit in the collar, chest, and shoulders. The waist can be taken in for not that much money. If you want, you can also get darts put into the back (your tailor can show you). Hem and sleeves can be taken up.

Just be careful of going too slim. At a certain point, shirts become uncomfortable if they fit too close to the body.

London_biker

Reaction score
Hi, try Apposta (www.apposta.com), an Italian online made-to-measure brand. Excellent quality and service - they also have a fit guarantee and are great value for money.

SS 376

Reaction score
Depending on how your shirts fit you, you should be able to get them altered easily at your local tailor's. Buy shirts that fit in the collar, chest, and shoulders. The waist can be taken in for not that much money. If you want, you can also get darts put into the back (your tailor can show you). Hem and sleeves can be taken up.

To me, this is the easiest solution. Any competent tailor can add back darts to take in the excess fabric around the waist. With vanity sizing so prevalent, I find myself having to do this even for "slim fit" or "extra slim fit" shirts.

Adding back darts is pretty cheap, so if you're willing to stick with reasonably priced RTW shirts, I think this would come out cheaper than MTM. I've done both, and while MTM will get you a shirt that fits perfectly, my body type is such that most RTW fits good enough. But I could see wanting to go MTM if you have more dramatic dimensions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads