• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirts please help

snowblind

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy some new dress shirts but don't know what the hell to get. I've bought most of my dress clothes at Khols brands like arrow and Van Heusen. I'd like to get some nicer better looking dress clothes for work. I've searched the forums but still not sure what to get. I'm 26 and don't want to buy something that would be a grandpa shirts. Can anyone recommend some dress shirts for a 26 year old? $100 per shirt would be range. I also like the slim shirts or shirts that are not baggy around the waist.

Thanks

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowblind
I'm 26 and don't want to buy something that would be a grandpa shirts.
Funny, I was estatic when I could finally afford my grampa's shirtmaker.

chapunso

Reaction score
TM lewin or charles thyrwhitt for starters
bounce2.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Tomasso's grandpa. Helluva shirtmaker, that one.

In all seriousness, if you "searched the forums" and couldn't find any intel on this, you are not very good at searching. This is probably the number one most frequently asked question. keep reading and you'll find plenty of info.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember 26....it wasn't that long ago for me. When you say that, do you mean that you are trying to hold onto your youth and identify with men 4-6 years younger than you by wearing loud, dark stiped shirts? You would be better served to choose classic, reasonably conservative, shirt patterns.

Search the forums for ideas on maker, but also bear in mind that you can have a shirt tailored to take in the excess material and acheive the slim look that you are looking for.

ablawren

Reaction score
Hi Snowblind,
I ran into the same issue when starting out in the corporate world a few years back. All the older guys were wearing Brooks Brothers or Thomas Pink, but the BB styles seemed especially grandpa-ish to me. I was quite skinny and even "slim fit" shirts were baggy on me, so I decided to go with a custom shirt maker called Alexander West. They have a nice selection within your price range. You need to make the extra effort to get measured, but you'll have shirts that fit well and look great -- well worth it in my view. Hope this helps... Good luck!

Taxler

Reaction score
You didn't mention where you work, but in a corporate or professional environment, the shirt style you choose shouldn't be much different than the one a grandpa would be wearing. Save the fashion forward stuff for after hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads