• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirts/Pants/Shoes/Ties for A Vegan

Mark Hazell

Reaction score
Well to narrow the search down for business attire I am a vegan so that cuts out wool and leather and silk. I never bought a dress shirt with specific measurements (always just bought small). I guess I should just do my measurements and buy more fitting shirts. I'm really slim. I'm 5'10" weighing around 145. A recently graduated undergrad so I'm not very rich and can't really pay very much for dress shirts/pants. What kind of slim dress shirts should I buy? I have two calvin klein dress shirts that are from the slimmest line they carry and those fit me fine (although perhaps a little short). i also have a really cheap black tie, but I think i want to do skinny ties instead. Thoughts on colors and such? As for shoes, which i think might be a really difficult thing to consider since I don't want leather shoes. Also belts. I have no idea where to go for pants. So that's my current wardrobe for business attire.. two calvin klein shirts and a useable tie. I'm in need of suggestions. I'm also the type of person that is a semi-minimalist and would rather buy good quality stuff (as opposed to stuff I'd have to replace regularly) even if it is of higher price and rather get it fixed rather than buying a new pair whether it be shoes, belts, pants, or shirts.

Edit:
From the progression of the thread, it looks like there are some leather/wool products that are hard to match (or even come close to for durability/fashion/etc). So in light of this, I will welcome any non-vegan recommendations, but i would also like explanations for why the vegan alternatives do not compare.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wat is a dress ****?
crazy.gif

Now seriously, searching around the forum should give you all the information you need. There's plenty of it and great advice lying around
smile.gif

Mark Hazell

Reaction score
wat is a dress ****?
crazy.gif

Now seriously, searching around the forum should give you all the information you need. There's plenty of it and great advice lying around
smile.gif
Thanks, edited and fixed.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vegans don't wear wool? I did not know that.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that wool is easier to avoid during the warm months - linen and lightweight cotton become not only feasible, but perhaps preferred alternatives...

Balfour

Reaction score
My favourite typo!

smile.gif

Yes, but most of the OP's options are cr@p. In ruling out wool, leather and silk he's not left with much to play with that will be comme il faut (certainly for conservative business dress or cold climates).

There is a late British MP, Alan Clark, who was a scion of the Establishment and someone one would expect to be a huntin' shootin' fishin' type. He recorded this exchange with Lady Thatcher in his diaries:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mrs. Thatcher: "You hunt don't you?"
Alan Clark: "No, I do not, prime minister."
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mrs Thatcher: "You eat meat don't you?"
Alan Clark: "No, I do not, prime minister."
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mrs Thatcher: "Well, you wear leather shoes, don't you?"
Alan Clark: "I am sure, prime minister, you would not wish to see your ministers walking around in plastic footwear ... "
[/FONT]

Hear, hear!

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool and silk you can do without, there's always cotton (thicker for the cooler months; corduroy, etc.)

But shoes are a different animal... you could wear canvas bucks or something like that in warm months, but for colder months it's either leather or crappy plastic...

Balfour

Reaction score
Wool and silk you can do without, there's always cotton (thicker for the cooler months; corduroy, etc.)

I disagree (even if not dressing in conservative business dress), unless the only goals are to be warm and not offend public decency!

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree (even if not dressing in conservative business dress), unless the only goals are to be warm and not offend public decency!

Well I meant to say you can do without if you absolutely have to
smile.gif

Of course you're missing the best looking stuff, but that won't mean some corduroy, moleskins, etc. won't look good for fall/winter!

Although now that you mention it, I can't think of any nice fall/winter ties that are not made of wool or silk... maybe ditch the tie altogether?

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
Well I meant to say you can do without if you absolutely have to
smile.gif

Of course you're missing the best looking stuff, but that won't mean some corduroy, moleskins, etc. won't look good for fall/winter!

Although now that you mention it, I can't think of any nice fall/winter ties that are not made of wool or silk... maybe ditch the tie altogether?

My main concern (even tieless) would be with jackets.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vegans don't wear wool? I did not know that.

Some of them think that shearing sheep is cruel. I suppose it's better if the sheep gets cooked alive while standing in the field instead, as happens in a lot of climates if they're not shorn. Well, not cooked alive, but heatstroke and whatnot.

Wool is renewable, and gathering it does not harm the sheep. I can understand rejecting leather, even though it's usually a byproduct of the animals that are being killed primarily for meat, and silk does involve the mass slaughter of bugs, but wool is pretty damn benign.

But if OP does reject wool, I would suggest linen and cotton. He'll probably look quite out of place in the winter, but he could just become the guy who always wears corduroy suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads