Dress shirts for under $50

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

I wear slim fits...
    compared with regular BB 1818, CT has much better pattern selection, material wise about the same although BB 1818 luxury line is definitely much better material wise
    I believe shipping is about $15 and my experience takes about a week. Sometimes they have free shipping promo...I normally wait for their $39 deal (by way of special weblinks) as this is my best option since I have to pay for sleeve alterations.

2. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Okay so CT has three types regular, slim, tailored. The RL Regent fits me really nicely and the Jos A Bank travelers tailored fits well also. What is your suggestion?

Also, do you know the US Site?

3. dieselman89

I can't find it but I live in the southeast.

4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

CT shipping has always been fast for me and they have stores in NYC if you're in the area. Someone on SF pointed out that it is slightly cheaper to order from the UK site so that's what I've done lately. On the US site the deal is 4 shirts for $199 + $14.95 shipping (sometimes can find a free code or email) = $213.95 vs. UK site 4 shirts for £100 + £16.74 shipping to US = approx. $193 so it's about 20 bucks cheaper to order from the UK site. I think I've always ordered batches of 4 from them to get the deal unless there was something on clearance on the US site for $39 with free shipping. There was a debate over at AAAC about CT not refunding VAT as some other UK companies do, but then someone else stated that CT picks up any customs fees. I don't know if that's true but I've ordered a bunch from them over the last 5 years or so and have never had to pay any customs.
    Fred

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

6. Thanks SF (a new me)

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/default.aspx?q=usddefault||||||||||||||| idk about RL Regent but JAB is a no for me...stick with CT or BB 1818 for the budget

7. dieselman89

8. Thanks SF (a new me)

9. dieselman89

10. Thanks SF (a new me)

you need to find your shirt sizing. my recommendation is for you to take the dive and order various specs...I understand your concerns of coughing up the s/h cost, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to get the right fit... trial and error

11. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

you can also always send them back and get a different cut. i used to get bb slim fit non-irons on sale as daily wear, but have since switched to ct as i find their slim fit better, and the shirts nicer-looking

12. Techboy

Techboy Member

I have all the brands i am talking about and as far as fabric goes they are in this order:
    ralph lauren > hugo boss > brooks brothers > tommy hilfiger > ct shirts
    though tommy isnt traditional dress wear some of its shirts can barely be distinguished
    rl and boss can only be bought during sales if you extend your budget by $10-30
    bb can only be had during sales
    u will need to be careful with tommy only some are okay as dress shirts
    u get better shirts from indian brands like zodiac or louis philippe for $50, compared to ctshirts, ct quality sells for $10-20 in india

13. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Probably the slim fit. I haven't tried the regular fit, but I've heard it is very wide, and the tailored fit, I don't know either. The tailored fit I think is only for their more expensive shirts like black label, no?

Shipping takes like 2 weeks.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Ralph Lauren shirts are only quite decent for black label or purple label, but even on sales I rarely see them under $100. Usually $120 upwards unless you find a cheap deal on SF B&S or eBay.

For $50 - $60 the OP could get Ralph Lauren Polo shirts - particularly those without the polo player logo. Quality similar to Brooks Brothers lower lines. Hugo Boss is an OK suggestion on a steep discount, but quality is not going to be any greater than all other suggested shirt brands so far (not counting the slightly superior Hugo Boss Selection label shirts).

I would say:

CT, RLP, BB (346, 1818 on a discount), and while I mention it, why not Jcrew? Quality of Jcrew is consistent with most $50 - $70 brand shirts. Even Banana Republic slim fit shirts will pull you out of jam - they are good enough to be functional even after a few washes. DKNY slim fits are also adequate enough. I dont think the OP will be short on $50 options.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

15. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

I just recently ordered some CT shirts in both slim and tailored.

If you have a 38" chest, I'd definitely go with tailored (their slimmest version).

My main complaints are:
    1. The fabric wrinkles VERY easily and seems to stay pressed in. For example, if you are carrying a messenger bag around, expect your shoulders to be terribly wrinkled all day long.
    2. The sleeves seem to run a bit long for a standard 33"
    3. Lack of gauntlet buttons is pretty annoying, particularly coupled with the sleeve length.

Overall, for $30, a pretty nice fabric, but the wrinkling thing is driving me crazy. Also, the tailored fit shirts have a pretty limited selection, so you might be forced to switch to slim depending on what pattern you want.