1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress shirts for under $50

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/default.aspx?q=usddefault||||||||||||||| idk about RL Regent but JAB is a no for me...stick with CT or BB 1818 for the budget

2. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

3. Thanks SF (a new me)

4. dieselman89

5. Thanks SF (a new me)

you need to find your shirt sizing. my recommendation is for you to take the dive and order various specs...I understand your concerns of coughing up the s/h cost, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to get the right fit... trial and error

6. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

you can also always send them back and get a different cut. i used to get bb slim fit non-irons on sale as daily wear, but have since switched to ct as i find their slim fit better, and the shirts nicer-looking

7. Techboy

Techboy Member

I have all the brands i am talking about and as far as fabric goes they are in this order:
    ralph lauren > hugo boss > brooks brothers > tommy hilfiger > ct shirts
    though tommy isnt traditional dress wear some of its shirts can barely be distinguished
    rl and boss can only be bought during sales if you extend your budget by $10-30
    bb can only be had during sales
    u will need to be careful with tommy only some are okay as dress shirts
    u get better shirts from indian brands like zodiac or louis philippe for $50, compared to ctshirts, ct quality sells for $10-20 in india

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Probably the slim fit. I haven't tried the regular fit, but I've heard it is very wide, and the tailored fit, I don't know either. The tailored fit I think is only for their more expensive shirts like black label, no?

Shipping takes like 2 weeks.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Ralph Lauren shirts are only quite decent for black label or purple label, but even on sales I rarely see them under $100. Usually $120 upwards unless you find a cheap deal on SF B&S or eBay.

For $50 - $60 the OP could get Ralph Lauren Polo shirts - particularly those without the polo player logo. Quality similar to Brooks Brothers lower lines. Hugo Boss is an OK suggestion on a steep discount, but quality is not going to be any greater than all other suggested shirt brands so far (not counting the slightly superior Hugo Boss Selection label shirts).

I would say:

CT, RLP, BB (346, 1818 on a discount), and while I mention it, why not Jcrew? Quality of Jcrew is consistent with most $50 - $70 brand shirts. Even Banana Republic slim fit shirts will pull you out of jam - they are good enough to be functional even after a few washes. DKNY slim fits are also adequate enough. I dont think the OP will be short on $50 options.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

I just recently ordered some CT shirts in both slim and tailored.

If you have a 38" chest, I'd definitely go with tailored (their slimmest version).

My main complaints are:
    1. The fabric wrinkles VERY easily and seems to stay pressed in. For example, if you are carrying a messenger bag around, expect your shoulders to be terribly wrinkled all day long.
    2. The sleeves seem to run a bit long for a standard 33"
    3. Lack of gauntlet buttons is pretty annoying, particularly coupled with the sleeve length.

Overall, for $30, a pretty nice fabric, but the wrinkling thing is driving me crazy. Also, the tailored fit shirts have a pretty limited selection, so you might be forced to switch to slim depending on what pattern you want.

11. dieselman89

How did you order yours? UK website or US website? Also are you in the UK or US? How long did it take?

THanks for your response

12. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Has anyone tried Saks Black label dress shirt? If so,how are they?

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

14. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Senior member

Wonderful array of shirts! Definitely going to pick one of these up

15. cypi2

cypi2 Senior member

I am very pleased with the first set of TM Lewin shirts I ordered online. The delivery was faster than I expected (6 days). I went through their 'Try it on/size guide' online application to figure out my size and the shirts fit surprisingly well (Regular fit which is a nicely bit tighter fit - but not too tight - than most U.S. classic fits). Their classic collar has a nice spread. After a first wash, I have not noticed any shrinkage or any significant deterioration. They are easy to iron and do not crease too badly. I will certainly not argue that these are high-end shirts, but, their quality is quite decent given the $40 price per shirt. For budget conscious buyers, they are good shirts for everyday office wear and a good alternative to Brooks Brothers or Polo shirts, for example.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016