• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirts for the small and skinny.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Last year at the Barney's warehouse sale, I picked up a slim-fit, Piatelli shirt in 14.5. Its my favourite shirt, and fits me perfectly. Very spread collar. It is also short, and therefore does not balloon out. The only problem is that Piatelli shirts go for 250, and I got it for 50.

Does anybody know where I can find slim fit shirts, spread collar, and rather inexpensive, $50 being the upper bar?

Any help would be really great"”I am in desperate need of new shirts.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usual suspects. CT slim fit/tailored fit, or one of the many, many, many on-line MTM makers. Some of them are affiliated with this forum.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Are CT shirts short, because that is a concern of mine.

The only under $50 online MTM i could find was Modern Tailor. Are there others?? I find that they are usually more than 60, 70 even.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
god damn there are some small dudes on this site.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
god damn there are some small dudes on this site.

The average guy on SW&D is a lot skinnier than on MC. But yeah, it's kinda true.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
Last year at the Barney's warehouse sale, I picked up a slim-fit, Piatelli shirt in 14.5. Its my favourite shirt, and fits me perfectly. Very spread collar. It is also short, and therefore does not balloon out...

It's not because it is cut short that it isn't ballooning out, it's because it is cut slim.

A longer tail will help to keep the shirt tucked in when bending and moving about.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
The average guy on SW&D is a lot skinnier than on MC. But yeah, it's kinda true.

wow, thats crazy.

I mean I had shirts in HS that were tight at 14.5, and I don't consider myself a big guy in any way.

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
There's a whole thread devoted to this!

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=35147

There are some good recommendations in this thread. Unfortunately, "slim fit" doesn't always = smaller sizes. I have the same issue: I wear a 14.5-33 and many retailers don't care many of these, if any at all. Slim fit IS generally a requirement though, as I'm quite slender. On an off note, are there really that many people with small neck/shoulders and a huge torso? Many of the non-slim fit shirts I find are entirely too billowy.

Anyway, I'd check CT and MT. (Charles Tyrwhitt & Modern Tailor)

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
My measurements: 5'6", 120 lbs.

I know what a longer tail does, but I never really find myself bending over or reaching up, so shorter tails are what I need.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are concentrating on the tails. That is not the issue, the breadth of the shirt around your midsection is.

And damn, 5'6" and 120 huh...thats unfortunate

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads