• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirts: Enlarging Neck Size

Lawman

Reaction score
I wear a size 17.5 shirt, which fits well in the neck, and tends to be blousy. I see a lot more size 17s on Ebay, and was wondering if you can move a button or do anything else to move down a size in shirts. Any thoughts? I've never done this. I have some size 17 shirts that fit fine everywhere except in the neck, which is too tight.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I wear a size 17.5 shirt, which fits well in the neck, and tends to be blousy. I see a lot more size 17s on Ebay, and was wondering if you can move a button or do anything else to move down a size in shirts. Any thoughts? I've never done this. I have some size 17 shirts that fit fine everywhere except in the neck, which is too tight.

sometimes moving the collar button a tad will do... the actual shirt size in 44/17.5 is the same as 43/17 from what I have heard FWIW

tlmusic

Reaction score
+1 on moving the button. Just don't move it too much or there will be too much gap between the collar points, or the tie will sit a little lopsided. Yes, you can replace the collar with a larger size. I've had this done twice, on a Brooks Brothers formal shirt and a Turnbull and Asser shirt. In one case my local tailor did the switch and Turnbull and Asser replaced the other (not inexpensive!). If the shirt is high quality and has a split yoke, this operation can usually be undertaken. It will depend on the construction of the shirt if this is possible. www.collarreplacement.com is an affordable option for replacing collars.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Turnbull and Asser replaced the other (not inexpensive!).
No kidding, $85!
frown.gif

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I tried moving the collar button and it looked bad with a tie and even looked bad without a tie.

I am going to try Collar Replacement. Has anyone here used them?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing the position of the collar buttons may not work for some.

If your collar is tight but not suffocating, you could try to lengthen the shank on the collar button so that it doesn't button up too tightly. This may however create a little tie gap. Try it first before considering the more expensive option of collar replacement.

I too have a large neck with a relative smaller body proportion and the main problem I have with collar replacement is finding the same fabric to match an ebay bought shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads