Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress shirts don't fit me properly. Tailor/Seamstress modify shirt?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by megaman80, May 16, 2018 at 6:28 AM.

1. megaman80

megaman80 New Member

Hi.

I'm 5'9.5" and weigh 165lbs. And I'm in Toronto.

Right now I wear semi-fitted dress shirts that I bought on sale for $30 because I work in a business casual environment. They are usually about 15.5", 32/33. Top button undone. But I would like to start wearing suits for my next job. And right now all I have for a suit occasion is a white shirt with a 17" collar that was a 34/35. I had a seamstress take in the shirt to essentially transform it to a 32/33 semi fitted. Even then, the 17" collar is suffocating if I do up the top button. But the tie knot covers it so I don't have to button up.

My neck is thick but my torso isn't. I'm a 32/33 but my neck should be 18" since I'd like some breathing room.

Since I'd like to get between 6-8 new dress shirts, I am trying to avoid having to spend $100+ on custom. So maybe I can go the same route I did before and have a seamstress tighten up the shirt after buying an oversized one (for me) with 18" neck on sale for $30. I guess it would be classic or regular fit. When the seamstress did it before, it cost me $30, though the shirt I bought at that time was $20 on sale.

Has anyone done this before? I can ask the same seamstress again but just want to know if anyone else has done the same thing and can tell me how their experiences were.

My first and only time for this process worked out well. It looks like the shirt was custom made for me. However, the seamstress is very rude. That's her nature. Have been to her for two other things and they also worked out. She seems to be very skilled. But I'm also willing to try another one or a tailor at a men's shop.

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

Since you're in TO, check out Spier and Mackay. I have no personal experience with them but they have a lot of fans here on SF, and they offer a custom shirt program at reasonable prices. You can get fitted at their retail store to maximize the chance of a good fit on the first attempt.

3. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

I'll second Spier and Mackay. They're great value and by visiting in person I'm sure you can find something to fit you, or go MTM.

Actually, with the size you want for your neck MTM is probably the best bet.

4. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

Your neck size is your shirt size. Have you actually measured your neck?

5. megaman80

megaman80 New Member

Two sales people at men's stores measured me in the past couple of years. One said 17 then other said 17.5. And the one white shirt I have, which was modified, says 17. Super tight if I button the collar.

6. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

Try a 17.5 before buying an 18. Once you get the right collar size, don’t hesitate to have a tailor put back darts in it. :fonz:

7. megaman80

megaman80 New Member

Ah okay. Will let you know what happens.

8. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

At your height/weight, doesn't matter if you are a 17.5 or 18 neck, RTW shirts will be huge on you. You can take them in and slim down the sleeves, but that doesn't fix the problem that the yoke will very likely be too wide for you. IMO much better to go custom at $60-80/shirt and get a better fit and better fabrics than trying to alter a cheap $30 shirt and ending up with a subpar fit.

9. jaxenro

jaxenro Senior Member

Natty shirts will make them to size and deliver for about $28 each if you order 6

Not top of the line fabric but decent and the customer service works with you to get the fit right