• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts always fit long

round

Reaction score
Prior to about 3 weeks ago, I have never worn a dress shirt in my life, so originally I bought a Zegna shirt, and it was very long.. I decided to try out Brooks Brothers, I got a size 15 33 in two shirts after being measured, the fit on the chest and arms/shoulders is great, but it it so dreadfully long that it looks stupid if not tucked in.

For reference I am 5'7 139 lbs, are there any companies people recommend that might fit someone built like me.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress shirts are supposed to be tucked in. That's why they're long, to stay tucked in.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... the fit on the chest and arms/shoulders is great, but it it so dreadfully long that it looks stupid if not tucked in.

Tuck it in.

Michael K

Reaction score
Well, T.M lewin have an option for the sleeves, but never heard of "short shirts". Try the shirts from Uniqlo, they are supposedly casual, therefore they are quite short, or, try shirts from causual lines of brands. But If you insist you really need dress shirt with short length, all I can tell you is to tailor your shirts. Blank Label excells in shirt making.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[COLOR=FF00AA]NEWS FLASH![/COLOR]

Dress shirts are meant to be tucked in. :teach:

ElPrincipe

Reaction score
Actually, I noticed that the length of TM Lewin shirts varies along with the sleeve length. So, if you choose the shortest sleeve length, the body should be shorter as well. I only know this because I require the longer sleeves for the 16" collar - 36", which I then adjust to 35.5". The body is longer in these shirts than the regular sleeve, 35" (in fact, too long, which is why I've ditched buying TMlewin shirts altogether). You could try some TMlewin shirts and select 'short' sleeve length - but definitely try on in store first

Slim fit shirts in general should be a bit shorter than regular fits

Yes, dress shirts should be tucked in, but some shirts can be worn either (e.g. oxford button down). I'm like you OP - IMO, I like all my shirts to be a length where I can wear them either. I actually feel like I get a neater tuck if it isn't too long. My ideal shirt length (measuring the whole length from top of collar from the back) is around 32.5-33.5" (I'm 184cm tall).

EDIT: Also, ALL SHIRTS are going to shrink a little bit from continuous washing over time. You're probably going to lose half an inch to an inch in length over time. When I'm trying a dress shirt on I like it to fit just a *tad* too big to begin with, because I know it will shrink a bit all over. Maybe like 5%. If a dress shirt fits too perfectly on first try you can bet it will be too tight after several washes, even at 30degrees.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To all the "tuck them in" answers, [COLOR=FF00AA]I'm not talking about them being long so they can be tucked, im talking about how they are at my knees, and are uncomfortably long.[/COLOR] And I usually do tuck my shirts in, but sometimes I don't.

Huh?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To all the "tuck them in" answers, I'm not talking about them being long so they can be tucked, im talking about how they are at my knees, and are uncomfortably long.[COLOR=FF00AA] And I usually do tuck my shirts in, but sometimes I don't.[/COLOR]

Then don't wear dress shirts if you want to go "untucked."

ElPrincipe

Reaction score
OP, just shop around until you find some that are shorter. If they feel too long to you, they're probably too long.

Johnsson

Reaction score
So you are tucking them in, but the length is such that it is uncomfortable? Have you considered made to measure? There is no shortage of options among the forum sponsors.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go bespoke if you desire a short shirt to be untucked.

Dress shirts are long to avoid getting out of the trousers when walking or knee to lace your shoes per example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads