• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt to wear to interview with a black suit...

aspriel

Reaction score
I know. I know, I know, I know. Don't even start.

Here's the deal: I'm a college student who rarely wears suits. I have one suit that is cheap and was bought for me by my parents. It's a wool black suit. I understand how SF feels about black suits, and really hope this isn't the black suit thread #2.

However, as a college student, I don't really have the money to buy a nice or even another cheap suit. I do think the black suit/white dress shirt looks very severe, and as such, may not be appropriate for an interview. I plan on wearing the suit to interview for jobs/internships as well as graduate schools - that's really about it.

I've heard suggestions that a light blue or even a dark blue dress shirt will make the suit look less severe and more amiable to wear to an interview. So, if you had to wear a black suit to an interview... what shirt (and tie if you like) color would you wear? Thanks.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
I know. I know, I know, I know.

Then why ask?
wink.gif

wheelerray

Reaction score
I don't agree with the anti-black suit camp, and I don't think a white shirt looks too severe with a black suit. I think the contrast between the black and the white looks sharp. IMHO you risk looking a little overdressed, but that is not much of a 'risk' at a job interview because you want to look better dressed than the rest. If you're set on a different color, try a very light shade of your eye color--if they're brown try a tannish off-white. Personally I'd avoid pink for the interview--too fashion forward, especially combined with the already risky black suit. The biggest danger in wearing the black suit now is that you might feel uncomfortable and less confident wearing it after listening to all the controversy about it on SF! See what all you black suit haters have done??!!
angry.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
Pale blue or pale pink are your best bets.

i agree any pale blue or pink i even like butterscotch color or even lavender!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black suit and pink shirt to an interview? Ok Alfie.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
black suit and pink shirt to an interview? Ok Alfie.
his was a black pin stripe, "if that's all it's about"

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... something that will match your tie.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Sky blue shirt, yellow tie with subtle pattern or stripe.

Agreed !, a light pink tie or purple would also do

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelerray
I don't agree with the anti-black suit camp, and I don't think a white shirt looks too severe with a black suit. I think the contrast between the black and the white looks sharp. IMHO you risk looking a little overdressed, but that is not much of a 'risk' at a job interview because you want to look better dressed than the rest.

If you're set on a different color, try a very light shade of your eye color--if they're brown try a tannish off-white. Personally I'd avoid pink for the interview--too fashion forward, especially combined with the already risky black suit.

The biggest danger in wearing the black suit now is that you might feel uncomfortable and less confident wearing it after listening to all the controversy about it on SF!

See what all you black suit haters have done??!!
angry.gif

As a lover of the black suit I tell you that what looks severe to me is the combo black suit/white shirt/black-4-inhand-tie... I think a black suit and white shirt can be lightened with a colorful tie. think a pink, light blue, lavander purple, yellow etc...

when I was a young aprentice my then big manager boss told me once...

Dress conservative and severe, dark grays and blues, even black with white shirts... but the tie is the "crazy lady on the house..." it is what brings joy and color to the whole ensemble...

Claudio

Reaction score
White or maybe pale pink shirt and work on the patterned tie: burgundy, mustard yellow, pumpink orange, pink etc (with white shirt that is). Don't wear sky blue with black if possible (in my opinion anyway).

Don't like and for the time being own any black suits.

Good luck!
smile.gif

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Litght blue end on end shirt.
no pink, no lavender, no odd shades.
This is an interview. You want your perspective employer to look at what you are wearing . Note that you are dressed appropriately, and not be distracted by your clothing. Stick to a neat somewhat conservative tie. color in the tie is fine, but not to wild. If this is a job in a creative field, then have fun.

A white shirt will look to stark with a black suit

I have made shirts for many younger guys out looking for jobs. I always tell them to dress in an understated manner.

Good luck

Carl

www.cego.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads