1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress shirt to wear to interview with a black suit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aspriel, Aug 31, 2006.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I echo the recommendation for a light blue shirt. I would add a light grey as well. I would absolutely stay away from pink, lavender, green or other non-conservative colors for an interview. I think a warm tone of red for the tie would be a sound conservative choice. I would stay away from flashy, bright or irridescent ties for an interview.

2. aspriel

aspriel Senior member

Do you mean just a solid red/orange/yellow (depending on the recommender) tie, or a pattern in that vein? I have a few ties - but all are patterned of some sort. I have diamonds of black/grey/white lines, diagonals of shades of grey with pink lines, a blue/taupe/beige square-thing(this one is hard to explain), and a red with white and navy diagonal lines.

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

aspriel, I just started to see double. I'll let our young members help you out, on this one. btw: if all else, fails: white shirt, beige tie.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

A nice cotton shirt with your best formal silk tie.

5. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I would first look at your skin tone , hair color, and the industry the job is in before recommending a color.

If you get a chance and stop by your local book store and look at Dressing the Man by Flusser and the opening section has examples of skin tones and hair and shirts. There is a book by Lloyd ... made for woman to help pick clothes for their husbands that is also excellent , his style choices are very clean and simple.

If it was me , I would go with a light blue shirt and the darkest red tie for my skin color and hair color.

Also remember to get a collar that matches your face and to tie the knot in the approriate style for the collar.

6. aspriel

aspriel Senior member

I'm terribly sorry, Ivan. :p

rssmsvc: I know the different collar/knot styles, but what do you mean a collar that matches my face?

7. gmac

gmac Senior member

White shirt will be fine - in fact, much better for an interview than the other bolder suggestions.

If you really don't want to go with white then try a pale blue.

Don't worry too much about knots and collars, that's for the advanced class. But no button down collars, not with a suit.

Good luck in the interviews!

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

how about solid black suit, solid black dress shirt with a sheen to it, a solid black tie, and tan shoes?
    there is a remote chance that your interviewers might like that look. so keep that in mind.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Actually there is one thing I forgot to mention:

Wear whatever makes you smile and stand straight, keeping towards the conservative look (blue shirt / red tie). I think you'd make a better impression with an outfit that looks good on you and is comfortable to you (within sensible bounds), than a wonderful outfit that makes you self-conscious.

You'll know what I'm talking about when you find that combination. And don't bring your girlfriend or trust the salesman. You'll know it when you see it. And, for God's sake, don't buy based on price alone. This is your future employment we're talking about.

Once again good luck, and don't skimp on your interview research / prepwork.

10. gmac

gmac Senior member

I've actually just scored a new job (IT consultancy) and I wore the same outfit for each interview (different people each time). Dark navy suit, crisp white shirt and a brown/blue/silver striped tie. Black shoes.

The tie wasn't my choice but my wife bought it for me and she said I should wear it. Good karma.

I usually wear a pocket square but I didn't on these occasions - maybe a little too much for IT on the west coast.

On each occasion I was better dressed than the person who interviewed me.

11. Dan-

Dan- Well-Known Member

gmac, you wore a navy suit, not a black suit. There is a difference.

12. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Don't worry too much about knots and collars, that's for the advanced class. But no button down collars, not with a suit.
    Tomasso and I would strongly disagree.
    [​IMG]
    As for collars and knots, I think one should usually stick with medium spread, four-in-hand for most interviews. Having a huge spread collar and huge tie knot looks like you're trying a bit too hard, IMO.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Ahh, another controversy to stir up on a Sunday!

One more thing to mention - if you get the chance, try to visit the company and see how they're dressed. This will give you a better feel for the norms of the place and position. For instance, investment bankers are more likely to dress better than those at engineering firms. If you can catch a look at what some of the folks are wearing (in advance), you have a better shot of fitting in. This should help the button-down collar controversy.

I've carried ties with me to meetings, arrived early and asked the receptionist whether my counterpart was wearing a tie. Her answer then told me whether to add the tie or leave it in the pocket. Of course the meeting circumstances also help dictate how I'm dressed - in some cases formailty is required, and other cases it can be a hindrance. For an interview you will of course wear the tie, but it's a good practice for the coming years.

14. gmac

gmac Senior member

Ooohh, hard to stand against Cary Grant, and he does look terrific there.

Let's just say that I do not wear button down shirts with a suit and leave it there. Although I could be convinced otherwise I suppose. I've always seen them as somewhat casual.

15. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

pale blue shirt, or light blue end on end, with a dark red tie (or dark rust, or dark orange...you get the idea). A gold tie will have that late 90s feel to it.

!luc

16. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

[​IMG]

As for collars and knots, I think one should usually stick with medium spread, four-in-hand for most interviews. Having a huge spread collar and huge tie knot looks like you're trying a bit too hard, IMO.

This is not a suit... notice the different shades of gray on trousers and jacket

17. gmac

gmac Senior member

gmac, you wore a navy suit, not a black suit. There is a difference.

Obviously. I just thought it might be interesting and give perspective on my other coments.

18. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

This is not a suit... notice the different shades of gray on trousers and jacket
    They look close enough, and would it matter if it were a suit?