1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress shirt Sleeves....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by polyhcron, Oct 25, 2006.

1. polyhcron

polyhcron New Member

I just finished paying for 3 new dress shirts at my local national upscale department store. All three were long in the sleeves. I am 32/33 but these were 34/35. Sales guy said no problem and had the tailor come and measure me up to get them cut.

I get home and my fashion minded friend says that the shirts will look funny and "poofy" in the sleeves because they really shouldn't be cut shorter than they come when fitted like that.

I am confused and wondering if I should call and return them before they get to cutting them.

I am wondering if sales guy just didn't want me to pass on the shirts as I was really excited about the style, they were just out of my size.

What's the skinny here? Anyone have any thoughts?

Feedback appreciated...

Poly

2. j

j Senior member Admin

They may be a bit poofy. Ideally, you'd have the tailor slim up the sleeves and maybe the body of the shirts (if necessary) at the same time. They probably won't look that odd, though, assuming he does it the proper way (by moving the placket). If he just moves the cuff, the placket is going to be very short and will look odd.

3. phooi

phooi Senior member

I'm assuming they didn't have your size and you got a great deal on them. Otherwise, I would suggest getting the right size the next time.

As to the alteration, it depends on how much they have to cut and the type of alteration. The most common alteration is to move the cuff up. If it's only an inch or so, you should be fine.

4. Charley

Charley Senior member

If the tailor moves the placquet, and only an inch, there should not be a poof problem. If there was not one in the beginning. But do make sure that they move the placquet along with the cuff.

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

I thought sleeves are altered at the shoulders? At least that's what my tailor advise.

6. polyhcron

polyhcron New Member

I did get a good deal on them, FREE!! Actually, I had a store credit to use so I bought some colors that I don't normally wear as an experiment. Didn't have anything really in my sleeve size that I needed to try.

In addition however, I have wanted to get some Zegna's from Saks.com since they seem to have some patterns that my local Zegna retailer doesn't ever seem to have. Sizes are listed on Saks.com as 16.5 "G". Customer srvice claims the "G" is 34/35 sleeve length. I am hoping I can order these and take them to a good tailer in town and have them work some magic.

Thanks for the input!!

-Poly