• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt sleeve length shrinkage

floridasenior

Reaction score
I have experienced sleeve length shrinkage after washing dress shirts and from past posts on Style Forum this seems to be a common problem. I have been buying OTR shirts with a sleeve length an inch longer than what I need, washing and drying them in a dryer (I know that some people prefer to hang dry, but I would prefer not to do that) several times and then shortening them to the desired length by removing the cuff and reattaching it. That seems to be the only way I can get a sleeve length (34 inches) that shows the desired 1/4 to 1/2 inch of cuff with a suit jacket or sport coat. Maybe this is why most men that I see are not showing any cuff ? I should also note that usually one sleeve shrinks more than the other.

Is this the only solution with OTR dress shirts ? Is there an OTR brand that does not shrink ?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt sleeves shrink a bit although in my experience not enough to merit your exertions. The dryer doesn’t help. Why are you opposed to air drying shirts? Even if I owned a dryer (almost non-existent here in Europe) I wouldn’t put my shirts in one. If, as your name suggests, you live in Florida, your shirts would dry in the sun faster than in a dryer—for free, and without all that banging around.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Clothes can shrink in unexpected ways in the dryer. If you continue to machine dry your shirts, it will be difficult to predict how they shrink.

rjc149

Reaction score
My Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron dress shirts haven’t shrunk too much after 9-10 launder/presses at the cleaners. They’re a little generous around the neck and in the sleeves when new, and snug down a little bit.

I mainly take my dress shirts to the cleaner in the interests of time and avoiding the drudgery of washing, drying, and ironing 15-20 dress shirts at a time. But, I’ve also found that professional laundering is gentler on the shirts.

notdos

Reaction score
Dry on low or cool? No problems here.

Phillip

denverbizman42

Reaction score
My Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron dress shirts haven’t shrunk too much after 9-10 launder/presses at the cleaners. They’re a little generous around the neck and in the sleeves when new, and snug down a little bit.

I mainly take my dress shirts to the cleaner in the interests of time and avoiding the drudgery of washing, drying, and ironing 15-20 dress shirts at a time. But, I’ve also found that professional laundering is gentler on the shirts.

I’m currently in the process of doing just that- ironing about 12 shirts. It certainly makes me want to just go get them professionally done. But I enjoy shining my own shoes and feel I’ve learned so much about that, I find it rewarding. So looking at making ironing feel the same way.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, I used to take my shirts to the cleaners and found that the shirts are usually subject to far more abuse. Frays and tears and loose buttons were common.

I wash my shirts in cold water and on gentle. They line dry and the next morning I iron them.

I’m sure if I waited until I had 25 shirts piled up I’d feel the same way. I wash my shirts Friday after I get home. A weeks worth of shirts, so 5 at most (unless my wife sneaks in a few items).

I iron Saturday morning and It takes a totAl of about an hour.

rjc149

Reaction score
I’m currently in the process of doing just that- ironing about 12 shirts. It certainly makes me want to just go get them professionally done. But I enjoy shining my own shoes and feel I’ve learned so much about that, I find it rewarding. So looking at making ironing feel the same way.
Yes I agree that a certain connection to the garment is cultivated when caring for it. I also shine my own shoes -- but, I only have 2 shoes to shine, and can do it in about 5-10 minutes. Washing and ironing a shirt wardrobe gets very tedious. At $1.25 per shirt to wash and press, I don't mind the monthly expense. Considering I get 2 wears out of a dress shirt before it goes to laundry, it's about $15 per month to keep my shirts clean so it's pretty efficient cost and time-wise.

rjc149

Reaction score
On the contrary, I used to take my shirts to the cleaners and found that the shirts are usually subject to far more abuse. Frays and tears and loose buttons were common.

I wash my shirts in cold water and on gentle. They line dry and the next morning I iron them.

I’m sure if I waited until I had 25 shirts piled up I’d feel the same way. I wash my shirts Friday after I get home. A weeks worth of shirts, so 5 at most (unless my wife sneaks in a few items).

I iron Saturday morning and It takes a totAl of about an hour.
Doing 5 shirts at a time wouldn't be an issue for me either, but unfortunately I procrastinate and generally bring a large sack of dress shirts to the cleaners.

I consider white dress shirts to be consumables, which serve their purpose, wear out, and get replaced every few years. If I had expensive dress shirts, I would take a different approach but my ~$35 Charles Tyrwhitt or Nordstrom Rack shirts can go to the cleaners. I also don't have any outdoor space where I can line dry clothing (city apartment), and my dryer is harsh even on low settings.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing 5 shirts at a time wouldn't be an issue for me either, but unfortunately I procrastinate and generally bring a large sack of dress shirts to the cleaners.

I consider white dress shirts to be consumables, which serve their purpose, wear out, and get replaced every few years. If I had expensive dress shirts, I would take a different approach but my ~$35 Charles Tyrwhitt or Nordstrom Rack shirts can go to the cleaners. I also don't have any outdoor space where I can line dry clothing (city apartment), and my dryer is harsh even on low settings.

My shirts aren’t exactly high end. I wear Kamakura. A drying rack can be used.

Of course, there’s nothing I can do to help with your procrastination.

floridasenior

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am drying on low and taking the shirt out before it is completely dry. I will try air drying.

A 34 inch sleeve length will show 1/2 inch of cuff for me. For 1/4 inch of cuff to show, obviously the sleeve cannot shrink more than 1/4 inch. With air drying, is the shrinkage typically limited to 1/4 inch or less ? If not, to me the only solution for OTR is do what I have been doing, which is buying too long, washing a few times and then shortening.

rjc149

Reaction score
My shirts aren’t exactly high end. I wear Kamakura. A drying rack can be used.

Of course, there’s nothing I can do to help with your procrastination.
I looked up Kamakura -- thank you for making me aware of them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads