• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt material

Cyber0066

Reaction score
What is the "best" dress shirt material? It seems like so many dress shirts are 100% cotton. But I've also found other material combinations like
55 cotton/45 polyester
97 cotton/ 3 spandex

So really, what's the difference between them all? Is 100% cotton the best material for a dress shirt? Because I usually find them being a little tight when I try to move raise my arms.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% cotton.

Or, if you want something else, cotton/linen or pure linen.

Never polyester. Maybe spandex, but this is usually found on cheap shirts, and I find that it tends to stretch over time in certain places and make the shirt look a bit funny.

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
100% cotton.

Or, if you want something else, cotton/linen or pure linen.

Never polyester. Maybe spandex, but this is usually found on cheap shirts, and I find that it tends to stretch over time in certain places and make the shirt look a bit funny.

Is there a difference between a $40 100% cotton shirt and a $240 100% cotton shirt in terms of the material?

And spandex is found on cheap shirts? My banana republic shirt is has 3% spandex. I kinda like it cuz it stretches a bit and feels flexible.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cyber0066
Is there a difference between a $40 100% cotton shirt and a $240 100% cotton shirt in terms of the material?
Yes, and unlike so many of the differences we pore over here, it's readily apparent.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is absolutely a difference.

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
There is absolutely a difference.

Maybe I should've closed the gap. $40 shirt vs $100 shirt that's cotton. What sorta differences would there be other than brand and cut.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And spandex is found on cheap shirts? My banana republic shirt is has 3% spandex. I kinda like it cuz it stretches a bit and feels flexible.

Yes, big difference. The hand, texture, feel, and visual look of the fabric will all be better on the more expensive shirt.

And by cheap shirts, I meant shirts that cost less than $150 at full retail.

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Yes, big difference. The hand, texture, feel, and visual look of the fabric will all be better on the more expensive shirt.

And by cheap shirts, I meant shirts that cost less than $150 at full retail.

I guess all my shirts are cheap then
frown.gif

I'm on a student budget.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Everything's relative. Your social circle would no doubt be impressed far more easily than the members of styleforum. My co-workers actually believe me to be some sort of scion due to a few of my fifty-dollar (actually ten at TJ Maxx) Calvin Klein ties. My fellow law students believe Joseph A. Banks to be a top-notch suitmaker. It really is all relative. Bottom-line - be patient for deals, buy the best quality that you can, and gradually improve your wardrobe.
And this may be contradict my preceding paragraph, but clothes are one area where quality really does show. I have a ten-year old Dillard's generic brand (before they had Roundtree & Yorke) shirt that looks better now than the JC Penney dress shirts I bought a few years ago in college

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess all my shirts are cheap then
frown.gif

I'm on a student budget.

Note that I said "shirts that cost less than $150 at full retail", not that you really need to pay that much. If you stick to shopping at sales you can get some great bargains.

If you stick around this forum for a bit, you will learn how to easily get top notch clothes for 75% off of retail price.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Why don't you go to NM or a boutique and see if you can tell the difference yourself? If you don't, then save your money (but you will). Field research is worth 1000 thread posts.

I get the Hickey-Freeman dress shirts they regularly sell at filene's Basement for under $80. I think they carry some Zegna stuff too.

It's not Turnbull & Asser, but it won't bust up your wallet that hard either.

I've found that you're usually ok with OTR anything if it's made in a G8 country other than China.

Oh yeah, first post Y'all!

(been lurking a lot over the past 18 mo)

Carey

Reaction score
What is the "best" dress shirt material? It seems like so many dress shirts are 100% cotton. But I've also found other material combinations like 55 cotton/45 polyester 97 cotton/ 3 spandex So really, what's the difference between them all? Is 100% cotton the best material for a dress shirt? Because I usually find them being a little tight when I try to move raise my arms.
do you live near a Nordstrom? Try their black label cotton shirts, which are their highest store brand quality and have a slimmer fit. You have said some shirts feel tight when you lift your arms. Those shirts are probably poorly made, or you have huge guns and lats. Popular better brands found in departments stores are: Hickey-Freeman (these are full fitting), Gitman Bros. (full fitting), Burberry (a bit slimmer), Robert Talbott (way overpriced, over-rated, and full fitting, and they shrink like hell at the cleaners). You can try Ralph Lauren Polo, but I would only buy on-sale. When considering any style of 100% cotton dress shirt, you should pay attention to the type of cotton, a two-ply Egyptian cotton of 110 to 120 threads per square inch should be the lowest you will accept. These shirts feel thinner and silkier. They wear like iron, too. After you begin to trade-up in quality and decide what type of collar you prefer (how tall that collar should be and of what spread) and how trim the body of the shirt should be, then go MTM with Jantzen. Many here sing its praises. The best thing to do is to begin the journey. Be adventurous, trust your judgement or buy into someone else's opinion, and know there will be many mistakes along the way. Everyone changes with their personal experience. Have fun!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads