• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt material

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
My fellow law students believe Joseph A. Banks to be a top-notch suitmaker.

Have you seen the font on their logo? Clearly Jos. A Bank is as classy as it gets.
tounge.gif

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Thanks for all the

Originally Posted by The Devil's Hands
Why don't you go to NM or a boutique and see if you can tell the difference yourself? If you don't, then save your money (but you will). Field research is worth 1000 thread posts.

I realize that. But I'd like to get an idea of what I should be looking for before I go out to the field.

Originally Posted by Carey
When considering any style of 100% cotton dress shirt, you should pay attention to the type of cotton, a two-ply Egyptian cotton of 110 to 120 threads per square inch should be the lowest you will accept. These shirts feel thinner and silkier. They wear like iron, too.

Will it actually say on the label that it's a certain type of cotton or would I have to determine that myself?

Carey

Reaction score
Will it actually say on the label that it's a certain type of cotton or would I have to determine that myself?[/quote]

"Look for the label or ask you grocer for it by name."

Pink22m

Reaction score
Popular better brands found in departments stores are: Hickey-Freeman (these are full fitting), Gitman Bros. (full fitting), Burberry (a bit slimmer), Robert Talbott (way overpriced, over-rated, and full fitting, and they shrink like hell at the cleaners). You can try Ralph Lauren Polo, but I would only buy on-sale.
You've obviously never tried Robert Talbott MTM, which is a totally different story from their RTW shirts. Even then, Talbott RTW is still better than many other RTW shirt makers out there that cost the same price (ie Pink). I would also argue that Talbott is underrated, since they don't get mentioned that often on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
You've obviously never tried Robert Talbott MTM, which is a totally different story from their RTW shirts. Even then, Talbott RTW is still better than many other RTW shirt makers out there that cost the same price (ie Pink). I would also argue that Talbott is underrated, since they don't get mentioned that often on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

I agree. While the fit may not be to the taste of this forum, the construction and details of the shirt (decent buttons, pattern-matched split yoke, etc) are better than many other brands in the same price range ($130-$160). Their fabrics are also quite nice and are offered in some wonderful patterns.

Carey

Reaction score
I have two Robert Talbott (one I bought for 50% off, and the other my wife gave me for a present and paid full retail). These shirts are expensive for RTW at $75.00 and $150.00 respectively. Both have shrunk in the collar so much that they measure about a 15, when they were made in size 16 - 35. I can't imagine that the MTM is much better, bbut if you say so then OK. But my experience with their RTW leaves me looking elsewhere.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I have two Robert Talbott (one I bought for 50% off, and the other my wife gave me for a present and paid full retail). These shirts are expensive for RTW at $75.00 and $150.00 respectively. Both have shrunk in the collar so much that they measure about a 15, when they were made in size 16 - 35.

I can't imagine that the MTM is much better, bbut if you say so then OK. But my experience with their RTW leaves me looking elsewhere.
That is quite puzzling. Where did you purchase the shirts? How are they laundered? I have never had this problem with any of my dress shirts, Talbott included.

Carey

Reaction score
That is quite puzzling. Where did you purchase the shirts? How are they laundered? I have never had this problem with any of my dress shirts, Talbott included.
First (an oxford cloth) was purchased four years ago at an upscale men's store, who sells Zegna, H-F, and Oxxford. The second (broadcloth in a green stripe) was purchased last Christmas at Nordstrom. I have my shirts professionally laundered - light starch only. My Individualized custom shirts have not shrunk, but several Ike Behar's and every McClure (maker of men's store brands) has shrunk. RTW Talbott is no better, so I am sticking with Individualized, the Nordstrom black label, and I plan to try some Jantzen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads