• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt/jeans

Michael

Reaction score
You know, I've always liked the look of a freshly pressed white dress shirt with jeans, but now I'm wondering something.  What if I were to take it a step further and make it a french cuffed dress shirt with cufflinks?  How about without cufflinks? Oh, and all of this is untucked, of course.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea is to look a little undone, so I would definitely go without the cufflinks. You might also think about getting the shirt a little tighter and with shorter sleeves than usual, and undo the fold at the cuff. I personally like tuxedo shirts, although that trend seems to be on the decline (it actually never picked up so much).

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Depends on the shirt. I saw a great jeans type fabric shirt at one of A Harris' and my favorite stores here in SF (Button Down) on Saturday with French cuffs. If they had my size I would have snapped it right up. With most shirts I'd roll up the sleeves twice and not wear the links, but it would depend on the occasion. I also think a shirt could look pretty cool under a blazer with links or not. Oceans 11 sort of look w/out the pretension.

davei

Reaction score
I've worn a fairly stuffy tux shirt (Brioni with the funny buttons & all) untucked with jeans and no cufflinks before (I usually roll up the sleeves as well since the cuffs are very stiff), but I've found it's one of those things where the shoes & setting can make all the difference. The tux shirt is on the traditional side, jeans on the casual side, and the shoes can push the combo either way.

Example: I clearly remember the last two times I've worn the combination (both fairly recently), both times were with the same jeans (regular dark, crisp, clean, indigo 501s). First time I wore some brown split-toe oxfords to a dinner at a nice restaurant. Second time, black and silver basketball shoes to a birthday party at a bar. I did not notice weird looks, but I did receive compliments and felt suitably dressed both times.

Timothy

Reaction score
I am a fan of French cuff shirts and tend to wear them at times with jeans. As to the cuff links/no cuff links question here is another option I employ at times, wear the cuff link through only the outside half of the cuff. Therefore you can wear you links, but not look TOO uptight since the cuffs are still hanging open in the middle. (For those who may not grasp exactly what I mean instead of putting the link through all four layers of the cuff, just put it through the two outer layers folded back like normal) The only thing is that you shouldn't wear ones that are too heavy if they're metal links. Also what would work great with this outfit are black silk knots paired with black shoes. Late.. .. ..

MikeF

Reaction score
I am a fan of French cuff shirts and tend to wear them at times with jeans... [with] the cuff link through only the outside half of the cuff. Therefore you can wear you links, but not look TOO uptight since the cuffs are still hanging open in the middle.

This look sounds terribly affected-looking to me. Why would anyone ever wear cufflinks in a way such that they fail to serve their sole function?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This look sounds terribly affected-looking to me. Why would anyone ever wear cufflinks in a way such that they fail to serve their sole function?

I have to agree with this. I would definitely not wear the cufflinks, and I would certainly not wear matching shoes and knots. The whole idea with this look is to look a little dishevelled, to not match. Think waking up to go to breakfast the morning after a big event. The tux shirt is thrown on over a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers as an afterthought because it is a little cold out. Either that, or you are going to an underground club in the Village to hear some god-awful trendy band, and you are going for a punk vibe. If you are going to match things, you really shouldn't be wearing a tux shirt, or any other shirt with French cuffs, with jeans at all.

Timothy

Reaction score
Awwww.. .. .. Maybe I'm just an affected-looking person. Sh--t, sometimes I even like wearing a tie loosened up with the top shirt button opened, or just thrown around my kneck like an ascot =P. Toodles.. .. ..

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw a great jeans type fabric shirt at one of A Harris' and my favorite stores here in SF (Button Down) on Saturday with French cuffs. If they had my size I would have snapped it right up...
I have the exact shirt Steve is describing (by Borrelli) and it is my favorite casual shirt ever. I got mine for like $25.00 - the sleeves (French cuffs) are too short so I just roll them up. Butondown is famous for these shirts and rightly so. They are terrific..

Joe G

Reaction score
You know, I've always liked the look of a freshly pressed white dress shirt with jeans, but now I'm wondering something.  What if I were to take it a step further and make it a french cuffed dress shirt with cufflinks?  How about without cufflinks?  Oh, and all of this is untucked, of course.
Why not? It's not a look I often go for -- I tend to save my nice white shirts for wear under jackets; the French-cuffed shirting I wear untucked with jeans tend to be multicoloured and striped -- but it can work.

As for the links, I personally almost always wear knots or cufflinks when I wear double-cuffs. But it's certainly fair to consider them optional.

Peace,

JG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads