• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt Decisions

Panama

Reaction score
My mistake, you are correct. H&H ready-to-wear is made overseas - it's their bespoke service that's still English.

I've heard good things about Emma Willis too, although I think the OP was concentrating on ready-to-wear solely. Any info on those?
T&A and Emma Willis are both excellent.
T&A uses mainly Albini, whilst EW appears to mainly use Alumo. I have a few of each, but they are expensive. Without harping on about Smyth and Gibson, I have around 30 made in Ulster shirts with Albini fabric. Most were in a 3 for £150.00 offer, some as little as £35.00 on promotion. My most inexpensive T&A was £50.00, but most have been bought at full retail as with EW. They are a lot more expensive. I only bought T&A at full price for James Bond cocktails cuffs...

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
There are alternatives such as Ede and Ravenscroft, Thresher and Glenny. I am considering Dunhill for the first time in years. I have previously had Chester Barrie (60 plus) and Grosvenor shirts.
Last year I branched out to Italian shirts from Truzzi and Corneliani.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T&A and Emma Willis are both excellent.
T&A uses mainly Albini, whilst EW appears to mainly use Alumo. I have a few of each, but they are expensive. Without harping on about Smyth and Gibson, I have around 30 made in Ulster shirts with Albini fabric. Most were in a 3 for £150.00 offer, some as little as £35.00 on promotion. My most inexpensive T&A was £50.00, but most have been bought at full retail as with EW. They are a lot more expensive. I only bought T&A at full price for James Bond cocktails cuff...

T&A I have experience with, as many of my own shirts are from them. Their 'Classic' fit is perfect for my build, even off-the-rack. I prefer them mainly for the fit around the arms and collars, and the Sea Island cotton is magnificent.

Panama

Reaction score
The best value shirt available in the UK today is a Supima Pin Point dress shirt, not Oxford, from Land's End. Made in Vietnam by either TAL or Esquel. Usually in the sale for £24.00.

Panama

Reaction score
T&A I have experience with, as many of my own shirts are from them. Their 'Classic' fit is perfect for my build, even off-the-rack. I prefer them mainly for the fit around the arms and collars, and the Sea Island cotton is magnificent.
There are probably only three mills making Sea Island, Albini, Grandi and Rubinelli, and Alumo. I don't imagine there is much difference. I am looking at the current Dunhill Sea Island cotton shirt, but Thresher and Glenny, EW, Budd, Sunspel, Strenstroms, Chester Barrie and maybe a few others produce or sell a Sea Island - possibly Hackett. EW is the most expensive in the UK.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are probably only three mills making Sea Island, Albini, Grandi and Rubinelli, and Alumo. I don't imagine there is much difference. I am looking at the current Dunhill Sea Island cotton shirt, but Thresher and Glenny, EW, Budd, Sunspel, Strenstroms, Chester Barrie and maybe a few others produce or sell a Sea Island - possibly Hackett. EW is the most expensive in the UK.

Good to know. Smyth and Gibson actually sounds interesting, how would you say their fits compare to T&A? And is the Dunhill a sale promotion?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H &K are made in Scotland.
At least the package my shirts came in did.

Panama

Reaction score
Good to know. Smyth and Gibson actually sounds interesting, how would you say their fits compare to T&A? And is the Dunhill a sale promotion?
Smyth and Gibson has several fits:
Classic
Contemporary
Tailored
Tailored Short
Slim

I only have classic or tailored. I don't really have a problem with any brand as long I chose classic or traditional fit. Lands End tailored does not fit me and Chester Barrie tailored requires the removal of darts. I am a big guy so I am happy with a tent fit.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Actually I think I will skip the Dunhill shirt, at £250.00 it's at the lower end for Sea Island cotton. T&A is currently £395.00 for Sea Island cotton. However, Emma Willis is now considerably less at £291.00 which is less than Budd at £325.00. Sunspel has jumped up to £235.00. Sadly Chester Barrie has shut up shop.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I think I will skip the Dunhill shirt, at £250.00 it's at the lower end for Sea Island cotton. T&A is currently £395.00 for Sea Island cotton. However, Emma Willis is now considerably less at £291.00 which is less than Budd at £325.00. Sunspel has jumped up to £235.00. Sadly Chester Barrie has shut up shop.

Geesh. At 291 I might actually look at Emma Willis myself.

Too bad about Chester Barrie. I think a lot of people don't pay enough attention to their shirts versus their suits. It's a shame, because good shirts make such a difference.

Panama

Reaction score
Geesh. At 291 I might actually look at Emma Willis myself.

Too bad about Chester Barrie. I think a lot of people don't pay enough attention to their shirts versus their suits. It's a shame, because good shirts make such a difference.
The site keeps switching from £291.00 to £350.00. On checkout it was £350.00.
I do have a 10% off code...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The site keeps switching from £291.00 to £350.00. On checkout it was £350.00.
I do have a 10% off code...

Very strange, as I'm seeing £291.00 right now. Maybe it's a glitch?

Panama

Reaction score
It is a glitch. But the ladies and EW are wonderful....
My Emma Willis Sea Island Cotton shirt has arrived. I wish there was a WISICA logo to go with it. Feels divine.

20210302_105301.jpg

Let's see how this goes. I might get the Giza 45 in cream.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads