• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt Decisions

DrewMill

Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm in the market for a few dress shirts, and I have my choices narrowed down to a few brands. I'm trying to make that final decision. I'm looking at Harvie & Hudson (whose shirts I already own and quite like), Proper Cloth (who I have never tried), and Hilditch & Key (who I have also never tried, but the sale which ends today is attractive). I have listed these in order of price for 3 dress shirts, and I would love to get any opinions on how these 3 brands currently stack up. Thanks in advance!

DaAlSh

Reaction score
Hilditch & Key definitely superior to Harvie & Hudson (had both): never heard of Proper Cloth.

Panama

Reaction score
Smyth and Gibson - made in Ulster with Albini fabric. H&H casual shirts are made in Europe - Portugal or Poland. I am not impressed with H&H. They are far overpriced for Ringhart fabric.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Smyth and Gibson - made in Ulster with Albini fabric. H&H casual shirts are made in Europe - Portugal or Poland. I am not impressed with H&H. They are far overpriced for Ringhart fabric.

I always thought H&H used Acorn fabrics.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it just comes down to fit. Hard to say which you should go with without seeing how you look in each shirt.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I think it just comes down to fit. Hard to say which you should go with without seeing how you look in each shirt.

Fit (according to measurements, at least), are all pretty similar. I'm mostly curious about construction quality and fabrics.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Are your looking for made to measure or off the rack shirts ?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTR for H&H and H&K. I would submit my measurements that I know work to Proper Cloth.

If you're going off the rack, may I suggest Turnbull and Asser? I sing their praises all the time on here, because their fit and style is my favourite of the London shirtmakers by far.

Of the three you listed, I'd go for Harvie and Hudson - but only because I don't know anything about Proper Cloth. H&H and T&A are also both English, and make their shirts in England, if that's important to you.

ronscuba

Reaction score
OTR for H&H and H&K. I would submit my measurements that I know work to Proper Cloth.
Not sure if submitting measurements is a good substitute to being measured in person. I've read positive and negative experiences.

If you foresee needing more shirts in your future, maybe buy 1 from each and then future shirts from the company that fit you best.

Proper Cloth forte is made to measure dress AND casual. They invest $ on their look books and website to be a convenient online 1 stop place for dress and casual shirts. Long sleeve dress, short sleeve, casual, untucked. I got measured at their boutique 2 years ago. Their shirt quality and pricing might not be the best, but the shopping and buying experience is so easy if you want 1 place for dress and casual online.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own all three of the English makers, some of which are over a decade old so
not necessarily representative of current offerings. Of the three, H&H are the most
inexpensive by far. Still very decent. You might also consider Drakes. Again, mine
are quite old. For the price at the time- at Barneys, superb quality.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I own all three of the English makers, some of which are over a decade old so
not necessarily representative of current offerings. Of the three, H&H are the most
inexpensive by far. Still very decent. You might also consider Drakes. Again, mine
are quite old. For the price at the time- at Barneys, superb quality.

Thanks. Unfortunately Drake's are a little too snug around the middle for me. Just buy a small amount. I'f I ever get around to losing a little weight, they will be my go to.

Panama

Reaction score
I always thought H&H used Acorn fabrics.
The above post was meant to say H&K use Ringhart...

H&H formal shirts are made in India. There are many Indian mills to choose from. Some of their casual shirts are made in Portugal, you would imagine they would use Portuguese fabric especially for Oxfords.

Panama

Reaction score
If you're going off the rack, may I suggest Turnbull and Asser? I sing their praises all the time on here, because their fit and style is my favourite of the London shirtmakers by far.

Of the three you listed, I'd go for Harvie and Hudson - but only because I don't know anything about Proper Cloth. H&H and T&A are also both English, and make their shirts in England, if that's important to you.
Only T&A are made in England. They are in a different price bracket to H&H. H&H are made in India, with casual shirts made in Portugal and Poland. There are a few made in UK shirt manufacturers, T&A, Emma Willis, Budd/Webster, Drake/Cleave, Margaret Howell, a company in East Anglia and a company in East London. And Smyth and Gibson in Northern Ireland.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only T&A are made in England. They are in a different price bracket to H&H. H&H are made in India, with casual shirts made in Portugal and Poland. There are a few made in UK shirt manufacturers, T&A, Emma Willis, Budd/Webster, Drake/Cleave, Margaret Howell, a company in East Anglia and a company in East London. And Smyth and Gibson in Northern Ireland.

My mistake, you are correct. H&H ready-to-wear is made overseas - it's their bespoke service that's still English.

I've heard good things about Emma Willis too, although I think the OP was concentrating on ready-to-wear solely. Any info on those?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics