• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt Collar to tight!

KnightwingNC

Reaction score
Hey!

So I have a MTM dress shirt, problem is that I can't button the top button. When I force it in, it's quite tight around my neck. Is there anyway a skilled alterationist can fix this?

Cheers!

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey!

So I have a MTM dress shirt, problem is that I can't button the top button. When I force it in, it's quite tight around my neck. Is there anyway a skilled alterationist can fix this?

Cheers!
Take it to the tailor and move the button 1.5 cm (or tell him Max) and it will be much better ?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it happen with “made to measure”? Makes one wonder about the meaning of the word “measure”.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it happen with “made to measure”? Makes one wonder about the meaning of the word “measure”.
it could be an online MTM and he gave the wrong/different measurements maybe? My guess

pyunghwa

Reaction score
A lot of my shirt collars shrink in the wash, even on cold. When the shirt is still wet from the wash, I just try to pull the shirt collar back to its original size by hand. I’ve also recently started using an old peanut butter container. I have about a 15” neck, and the peanut butter container is about the same. I just slide the buttoned shirt collar over the container and let the shirt dry. Much less effort than stretching each time.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey!

Cheers!
Depending on where you obtained the shirt, it is possible for the maker to replace the collar with a larger size. Simply moving the button is a hack and it might not look right. But, if it is truly a struggle to close the button in the first place, the collar might just be too small, period.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe fused collars are subject to a high rate of shrinkage, particularly if they are professionally laundered.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me before and the tailor has said that the lining (don't know if that's what its called but there is some material inside the collar) inside the collar eventually shrinks after washing it so many times and not the fabric.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
all shirtmakers build in 1/2"-3/4" of shrinkage allowance if the shirt collar fits properly out of the package, it will not fit properly 3 washes later.
Ask the shirtmaker to either send a new collar that a local tailor can replace, or they can remake the entire shirt..
just remember, shirts should never go in a dryer!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads