Dress shirt care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scraper, Dec 7, 2004.

1. scraper

scraper Member

Just recenty bought a few dress shirts with built in collar stays and am concerned about having them proffesionally claeaned and starched at a dry cleaner and being left with an unsightly shirt with visible markings around the stays. Do you think that this is a viable concern? Anyone have this experience?

2. arvi

arvi Senior member

one suggestion...DO NOT STARCH

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yes this is a valid concern. There's nothing you can really do to prevent some shine, short of cutting out the stays or telling your cleaners to go easy on them. I don't suggest using starch either.

I recently found a trick you might try if the collar gets a shine from pressing on the stays: dab with a solution of diluted white vinegar (2 tablespoons to a quart of water I think, though I'd have to check) on a soft cloth, then press lightly. Haven't tried it yet, but it was in a tailoring book I have. Try in an inconspicuous place first as with any "trick".

From now on, buy shirts with removable stays.

4. leroy

leroy Active Member

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Leroy:

2 posts- 2 references to your web site. There are lots of people on this Forum who have similar web sites (disclaimer- myself included) and lots of knowledge.

Please tone down the self promotion.