• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirt care: I've learned that I should occasionally wash my dress shirts.

ChazzR

Reaction score
Do I then tell the dry cleaner that I just need them starched? I figure otherwise they just get laundered all over again in the process getting beaten to hell. Thanks as usual for any input.

You start wearing the blue and brown
You're working for the clampdown
So you got someone to boss around
It makes you feel big now

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChazzR
Do I then tell the dry cleaner that I just need them starched? I figure otherwise they just get laundered all over again in the process getting beaten to hell. Thanks as usual for any input.

No. I don't use any starch at all. Iv'e heard that starch shortens the life of the shirt.

ChazzR

Reaction score
I know that the starch weakens the shirts, but I ask for light starch anyway. I'm just wondering whether I should try to avoid having the dry cleaners wash them after I've already done so.

Millerp

Reaction score
I know that the starch weakens the shirts, but I ask for light starch anyway. I'm just wondering whether I should try to avoid having the dry cleaners wash them after I've already done so.

First of all, you should NEVER get a cotton shirt "dry cleaned."

If you are asking whether a cleaners/shirt laundry would just spray
a shirt you brought to them with starch and then press it without
first laundering it, I doubt very much if they would do that.

IMO, to bring in a shirt to be "starched and pressed only" is something quite rare.

Mentos

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the guy at your dry cleaner would have a meltdown if you asked for press only on a dress shirt. You should fear for your personal safety.

You should accept the shortened longevity of cleaned shirts, get a cleaning woman, or get a good iron and do it yourself.

ChazzR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
I'm pretty sure the guy at your dry cleaner would have a meltdown if you asked for press only on a dress shirt. You should fear for your personal safety.

You should accept the shortened longevity of cleaned shirts, get a cleaning woman, or get a good iron and do it yourself.

The dry cleaner would have to possess some bizarre form of professional integrity to "have a meltdown" if I were willing to pay the same price but just wanted the shirts starched (maybe he doesn't trust me with a washing machine and it's for my own good?). It seems a fairly innocuous question, certainly not one that would produce a rabid reaction.

All the girls are crazy
Acting out the heat
Tie and shirts and cufflinks
Well that's pretty neat

Mentos

Reaction score
Sorry, I was just being flip. The dry cleaner sure isn't going to turn down your money, so long as he can understand your request. I happen to use a particularly incompetent dry cleaner--the meltdown would be from inability to process, rather than anger.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most cleaners will send your shirts out to be laundered at a larger facility that may service dozens or even hundreds of cleaners. These mega-laundries do not offer a press only option. The cleaners that I use will accept my home washed shirts for hand pressing at their location. The price for hand pressing is double that of their standard laundry service (which they send out). I can see no reason why any cleaner would refuse to hand press a shirt(even if it's not their practice) if you offered them enough money.

ChazzR

Reaction score
Thanks to all. And Mentos, I was just busting your chops, I must be bored here at work, back to the grind. - Chazz

pkincy

Reaction score

I quit using starch years ago. There is always a residue of starch in the system (I believe on the pressing machines) so that no starch is in reality light starch. Ask for it that way and you will be happier and your shirts will be ecstatic.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads