• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress shirt brand

Polarbear12

Reaction score
I’m looking for recommendations on the best dress shirt brands. I want shirts that, when I wear them without a tie and with one button undone, the top of the shirt and collar don’t fold down and the front / the collar stand up tall. I’ve read about inserting metal collar stays and magnets, but I’d prefer to buy a quality shirt that doesn’t require accessories

I’ve included a few pictures I came across to better illustrate what I’m looking for.

View attachment 993445

View attachment 993446

View attachment 993447

2188E19F-EF04-4582-AED4-1C22C37268C8.jpeg

DC32CB4E-58A1-455E-9761-E24FACED761B.jpeg

1543DBEF-89C1-499A-8ED1-9F2AFE7565F8.jpeg

maxalex

Reaction score
This is a hard thing to quantify as it depends on the fabric, the fusing, the cut of the collar, even the button stance in front.

If you were to order MTM shirts from a company like Ratio or Proper Cloth you would want to choose high collar styles with fusing, or alternatively button down collars, which are never fused but tend to stay up due to the button. If you don’t like the OCBD look you could try collars with hidden buttons.

Heavier fabrics, like oxford cloth or twill, often stay up better, but a stiffly fused broadcloth can work just as well. Metal stays can help but they also wear holes in your collar quickly.

Finally, many collars slump not because of the collar but because the overall fabric is so soft or lightweight that the material over the upper chest doesn’t have the “architecture” to hold up the collar itself without a tie. In that case, consider getting your shirts heavily starched.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's