• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress shirt alterations - regular v. slim fit

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first post here so be kind
i browsed and searched some threads... but some of the threads are MASSIVE

i'm 6'1" 175lbs, 40R jacket, 16 - 34/35 shirt
and as is commonly the problem, 99% of all dress shirts are too big around the waist
and i am in between 33 and 34 for arm length ... 32/33 is too short and 34/35 can be a bit long
so i want to take in the waist and sometimes shorten the sleeves

if i want to get my dress shirt altered, mainly to take in the waist, what is the preferred method?
is it putting darts in? or is the shirt taken apart at the seams? i had never even heard of "darts" until i started browsing here a few days ago so i am really clueless about the process

now.. the MAIN question -
if i am going to alter the shirt anyway, does it matter whether the shirt is a regular fit or a slim fit to begin with? i ask this since sometimes certain colors are not available in slim fit ... or a regular fit of a certain color might be on sale

also if you have a certain tailor around the Los Angeles area to recommend, that'll be appreciated as well

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like darts. And contact Johnathan Behr. I'm sure he can do some alterations. I just had a three piece suit and shirt bespoken by him. He's an extremely nice guy. Tell him Gary sent you.
smile.gif
http://www.johnathanbehr.com/

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thanks but a bespoke tailor is probably too expensive just to get some shirts altered

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you get regular theres more fabric for the tailor to work with. esp around the armpits.

just make sure the shoulder/placket/upper back fit well.

ive had shirts taken in from the sides... and some darted... like them both equally

blacklabel

Reaction score
if i am going to alter the shirt anyway, does it matter whether the shirt is a regular fit or a slim fit to begin with?
can someone answer this? wondering the same thing...is there any point in getting slim fit if you're going to alter it anyways?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blacklabel
can someone answer this? wondering the same thing...is there any point in getting slim fit if you're going to alter it anyways?

A regular fit shirt will be bigger than a slim fit shirt in all areas, not just the waist. I would suggest getting a slim fit shirt that fits you great all around, with the exception of the waist, then take that to a tailor to get it slimmed down even more. If you buy a regular fit shirt, it will probably be too big in other areas as well, such as armhole, bicep, shoulders, etc., which would be a lot more work for the tailor (aka more expensive for you), and that's if it can be tailored at all. If a shirt fits too baggy all the way around, it probably wouldn't even be worth it to have the whole thing tailored.

ktrp

Reaction score
I would imagine that closer to where you want to end up is better.

I have not personally tried this, but I wonder if no pocket also makes life easier, since a drastic narrowing will throw the pocket location to your armpit.

Trenditional

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
I would imagine that closer to where you want to end up is better.

I have not personally tried this, but I wonder if no pocket also makes life easier, since a drastic narrowing will throw the pocket location to your armpit.

No pockets for significant altering is definitely a plus. I recently bought some OCBD from Lands End and I had to remove the pockets because they did pull into my underarm area quite noticeably.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I have a similar shirt problem. Whereas, if I'm not to button collar a 15 1/2 works, but for buttoning the collar I need a 16/ 32-33. Generally a 16 fitted works fine ( though not all fitted- slim- or modern are not the same ), except it's too long. So I just take dress shirts to my local tailor and have them shortened 3-31/2"'s all around ( to maintain the profile ). Just picked up 2 today from her @ $14 ea.. On rare times I find what I want is only availible in classic fit, I put it on and she pins both sides-- rips open the seams and tapers them for me. I think the last one was around $ 16 to 18 or so + of course the 14 to shorten. It's extra coin and time, but I like a certain fit and that's it.

Roger

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trenditional
No pockets for significant altering is definitely a plus. I recently bought some OCBD from Lands End and I had to remove the pockets because they did pull into my underarm area quite noticeably.

is OCBD = oxford cotton button down?

i'm new here and i am lost in the sea of acronyms

Reaction score
Dress shirts with darts are ugly.

They create chevrons out of vertical stripes
Darts call unwelcome attention to themselves by doubling the fabric of transparent material
Ironing shirt back is made more difficult because it won't lie flat
They create ugly wrinkles down the back because the fabric is distorted
Darted shirts look awkward when you sit because there is no loose material to keep the shirt tail from being pulled out. it looks like you're wearing an invisible vest with the bottom bulging out.

Darts are ugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads