• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt Advice

itscodyxx

Reaction score
Okay, I am kind of in a predicament here. I am searching for a reasonably priced dressed shirt ($25 or under) without a front pocket as I am taking my girlfriend out to homecoming soon and need something a bit more formal than what I have now. I am 16, 6'1", and 121 lbs, if that were to help somehow as to how the shirt would fit.

Thanks,
Cody

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that- sorry but $25 is tough. I suggest you search the racks at bargain basements like TJ Maxx or thrift stores.

At sierra trading post with th SF discount you might at least find a shirt for around thirty but it's not going to be a slim-cut no pocket like you want.

http://www.nextag.com/cheap-dress-shirt/compare-html maybe you can find something in there.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itscodyxx
... as I am taking my girlfriend out to homecoming soon and need something a bit more formal than what I have now. I am 16, 6'1", and 121 lbs,

Hello Cody,

a shirt for less than 20 is hard to find. With 16 and not beeing a wall street broker it is also possible to wear a shirt with pocket. Find a nice one (with or wihtout pocket).

Yours
GN

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I agree that I would not worry about the pocket thing. Do you have a Marshall's or a T.J. Maxx near you? If they have a shirt your size, it will probably be around $20 at most.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The removal of breast pockets is no big deal when done carefully. Worth considering with that budget!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the pocket if it is done well.

Not that I have bought one, but whenever I play with the MTM shirt websites like tailorstore, I find myself going with a left pocket and a placket as opposed to the bare left breast and smooth fabric where the buttonholes are.

Obviously, don't put anything in the pocket

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
That is a tough price to hit if you're looking for quality and an slim updated fit.

I realize that the gap isn't known for style or fashion but they do have inexpensive dress shirts in slim fit and fitted, always marked way down. The shirt will only last a few washes but the cut is going to have an updated fit compared to what you might find at Ross for $20.00.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you have a Syms near you they usually have stylish formal shirts on sale. I know the Syms in Peabody, Massachusetts had 50% off on all formal wear shirts.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
The removal of breast pockets is no big deal when done carefully. Worth considering with that budget!
the cost of pocket removal - a stitch ripper (few bucks), and ten minutes of your time.
then wash after. i've removed all shirt pockets in my wardrobe, hate the look of them

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Do you live near an H&M? I've always liked their stuff, and you could probably get a good one for $30ish

MaxJones

Reaction score
+1 H & M

I'd take a different approach to this query. The issue is not pocket or no pocket, the issue is where can you find an ultra-slim fitting shirt on the cheap? Giving your specs of 6'1" and 121lbs., you are a very lean guy, so finding a good fit should be job one. Go to H&M, or if there's not one nearby, go to eBay and search for H&M slim shirts, like this one.
58d6_1.JPG

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Land's End, which I think is good value for the price, has pin point button down shirts in their 'tailored' fit for $29.50. They have a pocket, but so do most American RTW shirts.

As an aside: the first Brooks Bros. shirt I bought came without a pocket and there was an extra charge of $1.00 for a pocket. That was a very long time ago.

Cheers, Jim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads