• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt: 1/4" stitching vs contemporary stitching

laxexquis

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been on mytailor.com designing my own dress shirts.

These shirts will be worn to work with a suit. They will also have button cuffs, placket front and side vents.

What you you recommend?

Thanks
John

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1/4".

laxexquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
1/4".
Ok, now those shirts would be for wearing to work like I said. I am also going to order a few shirts which I'll wear to weddings with suits when I don't need to wear a tux. They will have square french cuffs, no back pleats and french front buttons. I'm thinking these shirt should have contemporary stitching, am I right?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you mean a french placket or a fly front? If it has a turn-down collar then it should be a pique collar to match the pique bib of your tuxedo shirt. And yes, edge stitching would probably be better in that case.

laxexquis

Reaction score
Do you mean a french placket or a fly front? If it has a turn-down collar then it should be a pique collar to match the pique bib of your tuxedo shirt. And yes, edge stitching would probably be better in that case.

I mean a fly front. It is going to have a classic spread collar, no back pleats and square french cuffs.

This is not going to be a tuxedo shirt. Just a formal suit shirt compared to my everyday work shirt.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry; I misread. My mind saw tux and elided "not" or something. I might still get 1/4" stitching. I somehow associate edge stitching with cheaper, wannabe shirts. But maybe that's just me.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Sorry; I misread. My mind saw tux and elided "not" or something. I might still get 1/4" stitching. I somehow associate edge stitching with cheaper, wannabe shirts. But maybe that's just me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way. I always thought edge stitching looked really tacky.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'

Last edited:

tlmusic

Reaction score
1/4" stitching on the placket cuffs and collar is my preference.

southbound35

Reaction score
I prefer the 1/4" stitching and am not a fan of edge stitching or the Pink shirt collar linked above. But, the only explanation I have for that opinion is that 1/4' stitching is what I'm used to.

For an opposing view, you might do a search on AAAC. I seem to recall a thread in which Kabbaz (a very well-known/respected shirtmaker) preached the gospel of edge-stitching.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
I've gotten edge stitching on all of my Jantzens so far. I like the cleaner look, but at the end of the day fitting in at work is more important than expressing my individuality (I'm in banking, not a creative field).

Faux pas? Should I switch from edge to 1/4 moving forward?

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxexquis
Hello,

I have been on mytailor.com designing my own dress shirts.

These shirts will be worn to work with a suit. They will also have button cuffs, placket front and side vents.

What you you recommend?

Thanks
John

Edge stitching is, in my opinion, nasty

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'

Last edited:

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I doubt that any one will notice.

Actually that's something I notice right away. Collars are right next to a person's face. A person can benefit greatly from a collar that flatters their features.

Originally Posted by Kaplan
Does anybody have any historic insights? Did they have edge stitching on their collars in the 50's and 60's, for instance?

I believe "edge stitching" has existed for a long time. I looked at my vintage shirts and found one from the late 1950s that has 1/8" stitching on the collar--which is pretty close to the edge. Actually, it looks pretty cool on that shirt since it has a non-fused spread collar, and there must be 25+ stitches per inch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads