• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Pants Help

Izod32

Reaction score
I currently just wear jeans but would definitely want to buy some dress pants. I live in nyc and am in my mid 20s.

I googled a bunch online and still have a few questions. I don't want to spend a lot of money on those expensive brands. I actually like brands such as Banana republic and express though many of you say BR is overpriced and express is just garbage.

I would like to buy 2 pairs of dress pants.

1. Wool or cotton? I read online wool is the best fabric but you need to take care of it. However, sometimes wearing wool pants might be overdressed. Is this true? I also heard one should not wear wool whenever its the summer. Does this statement always hold true as well? I read cotton is a really good fabric and cheaper and that is what people wear in summer. But still many people wear cotton dress pants during winter as well right? You can go for a job interview wearing cotton dress pants right or am i wrong?

2. What color to buy? I read online if you were to only buy 1 dress pant, get it in black because it goes with everything. Is this true? Someone mentioned that it isn't as versatile as it is made out to be. And if you were to buy only 1 dress pant, what color would it be and would it be wool or cotton?

3. Can someone recommend me what brand to purchase? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it like most of you guys who spend $300 and up on a dress pant. Express prices are very good but some people say they wear out fast and shrink. A guy messaged me and told me he had express producer pants and they fit okay but wearing out, whereas a banana republic classic fit wool pants fit so well. Would Banana republic be an okay choice? I don't want to wear anythinng like Gap though because i know their quality for dress pants seem to be lower quality than BR.

4. I want to purchase 2 dress pants. Would you suggest i buy 1 black and 1 grayish or charcoal color? Can someone tell me what is the difference between a gray dress pants and charcoal dress pants? i feel like i have to buy 1 black dress pant. Also, if i were to buy 2, would you suggest one wool and one cotton or 2 wool or 2 cotton? I'm thinking 1 black wool dress pant and 1 gray cotton dress pant?

These are the dress pants im looking at. The first one is in wool and there is black or midgray. The other 3 are dress pants in COTTON. Is charcoal more blackish or grayish? And which of the cotton dress pants would you guys say look the best? And is there a reason why wool only cost 20 dollars more than their cotton dress pants? I am looking to buy 2 dress pants. Would definitely like if someone can help me here. Thanks.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=762497002

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=802747

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=802744

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=802746

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
I currently just wear jeans but would definitely want to buy some dress pants. I live in nyc and am in my mid 20s. I googled a bunch online and still have a few questions. I don't want to spend a lot of money on those expensive brands. I actually like brands such as Banana republic and express though many of you say BR is overpriced and express is just garbage. I would like to buy 2 pairs of dress pants. 1. Wool or cotton? I read online wool is the best fabric but you need to take care of it. However, sometimes wearing wool pants might be overdressed. Is this true? I also heard one should not wear wool whenever its the summer. Does this statement always hold true as well? I read cotton is a really good fabric and cheaper and that is what people wear in summer. But still many people wear cotton dress pants during winter as well right? You can go for a job interview wearing cotton dress pants right or am i wrong? 2. What color to buy? I read online if you were to only buy 1 dress pant, get it in black because it goes with everything. Is this true? Someone mentioned that it isn't as versatile as it is made out to be. And if you were to buy only 1 dress pant, what color would it be and would it be wool or cotton? 3. Can someone recommend me what brand to purchase? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it like most of you guys who spend $300 and up on a dress pant. Express prices are very good but some people say they wear out fast and shrink. A guy messaged me and told me he had express producer pants and they fit okay but wearing out, whereas a banana republic classic fit wool pants fit so well. Would Banana republic be an okay choice? I don't want to wear anythinng like Gap though because i know their quality for dress pants seem to be lower quality than BR. 4. I want to purchase 2 dress pants. Would you suggest i buy 1 black and 1 grayish or charcoal color? Can someone tell me what is the difference between a gray dress pants and charcoal dress pants? i feel like i have to buy 1 black dress pant. Also, if i were to buy 2, would you suggest one wool and one cotton or 2 wool or 2 cotton? I'm thinking 1 black wool dress pant and 1 gray cotton dress pant? These are the dress pants im looking at. The first one is in wool and there is black or midgray. The other 3 are dress pants in COTTON. Is charcoal more blackish or grayish? And which of the cotton dress pants would you guys say look the best? And is there a reason why wool only cost 20 dollars more than their cotton dress pants? I am looking to buy 2 dress pants. Would definitely like if someone can help me here. Thanks. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=762497002 http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=802747 http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=802744 http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=802746
hey izod ... out of curiosity at what age did your mom stop telling you that your special? has she stopped yet? -br and express are both garbage. 1. depends on when you are going to wear them. most people have both wool and cotton. 2. usually a dark color, but again, it depends on the colors of your wardrobe. can you do us a favor and take pictures of every single piece of clothing you own and post pics here. thanks! 3. mmm, w v. g, blue in green, js, left field, etc. NOT br or express. 4. you already asked this question (see response for question #2). yes, your welcome.

racknac

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait... how many pants do you want to buy again...? I didn't catch that the first time...

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Wait... how many pants do you want to buy again...? I didn't catch that the first time...
he might not respond because he is to busy taking pictures of his entire wardrobe for us to analyze.

Izod32

Reaction score
I tried the first one at the banana republic store today in grey and black in wool and wow it feels so good but didn't buy it because still unsure. I didn't want to have 2 wool dress pants and no cotton dress pants. The cotton however, doesn't feels cheaper though its only $20 less.

Izod32

Reaction score
okay i asked this on another forum, askandyaboutclothes forum. Everyone tells me to avoid black and gray is the best color. Darkish gray they say because its the most versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads