1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress Pants - Help Me Choose Fabrics

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Heatmiser, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Heatmiser

Heatmiser Senior member

I have not traditionally been a sharp dresser but after losing a bunch of weight I am motivated to start dressing nicely. I am looking to buy 6 new pairs of dress pants to wear at work. I live in Southern California and I will mostly be wearing dress pants with dress shirts (no tie). Occasionally I will wear a sport coat as well but most of the time just slacks and nice shirts. I am having the pants MTM and have looked through a bunch of fabrics for colors that I like. Let me know your top 6 choices out of the following...

OUTDOORS:

[​IMG]
    Left to Right: Mid Grey, Tan, Brown, Light Grey, Dark Grey, Mid Grey Herringbone, Dark Grey Herringbone

[​IMG]
    Top to Bottom: Black, Blue, Taupe

INDOORS (Same Fabrics):

[​IMG]
    Top to Bottom: Mid Grey, Tan, Brown, Light Grey, Dark Grey, Mid Grey Herringbone, Dark Grey Herringbone

[​IMG]
    Top to Bottom: Black, Blue, Taupe

Here are shots of the Brown, Tan and Taupe together in sunlight for shade reference on the Taupe
    [​IMG]

And the same three fabrics indoors
    [​IMG]

2. RabidOrphan

RabidOrphan Active Member

IMHO: Dark grey, mid grey, tan, brown, blue and light grey. No black, no herringbone for dress pants.

3. Heatmiser

Heatmiser Senior member

Thanks RO! I am thinking this would be best. That taupe looks to light and have heard black isn't a good choice for dress pants unless it is part of a uniform or tuxedo. Is the herringbone fabric reserved more for suits? Are there any other colors or patterns I should look at outside of the ones I listed?

4. Heatmiser

Heatmiser Senior member

bump for more advice...

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Sorry, I remember looking at this a while ago and thought I replied. From the indoor shot, I would choose 1, 4, 6, 2....in that order. Pretty nice stuff.

6. Dr Gary

Dr Gary Member

You are right about the tan, too light(fine for dockers, but for dress... ick), same thing with the light gray. I don't see a problem with the harringbones, as long as they're subtle like these are, they can look very sharp and dressy. I have a pair of black, but very rarely wear them.:nodding:

7. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Herringbone = suit

I'd go mid and light grey, brown and maybe navy. do you need to choose 6 at once. If not, I'd try to start with 3-4. Navy gets panned a lot on SF, but I think it would be a welcome addition to the stable of trousers your are looking for. I like the tan, as well.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agree with WTL and Murl. Though tan before navy.