• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress pants getting stuck in back of shoes... help!

peterparker20

Reaction score
Hello all--

I just bought some new wool dress pants and had them hemmed to a slight break.

Unfortunately, the back of my pant legs are now are getting wedged in the back of my shoe between my sock and the leather with every step I take.

Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas? It seems fairly uncommon, but now is an annoying problem.

Should I add more weight to the back of the pant hem? Should I add an extra piece of fabric to the inside so they aren't thin enough to get stuck in my shoe? Should I just take them back to the tailor and tell him to something?

I know it would be easy not to wear the pants/ shoe combo, but I currently only own one pair of dress shoes, sadly.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a gap in the back of your shoe? It sounds like the length of the pants at the back is just perfect to slip in. Probably need the pants a little longer or little shorter?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello all--

I just bought some new wool dress pants and had them hemmed to a slight break.

Unfortunately, the back of my pant legs are now are getting wedged in the back of my shoe between my sock and the leather with every step I take.

Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas? It seems fairly uncommon, but now is an annoying problem.

Should I add more weight to the back of the pant hem? Should I add an extra piece of fabric to the inside so they aren't thin enough to get stuck in my shoe? Should I just take them back to the tailor and tell him to something? 

I know it would be easy not to wear the pants/ shoe combo, but I currently only own one pair of dress shoes, sadly.

did you wear the shoes when you've been the tailor?

Xenon

Reaction score
You could alter the pant length but ultimately I think your shoes are to loose. It's seems very likely to me that your feet are moving too far forward with every step you take

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could alter the pant length but ultimately I think your shoes are to loose. It's seems very likely to me that your feet are moving too far forward with every step you take

This. More than likely you wear a size larger than the length of your foot would normally dictate.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This. 
More than likely you wear a size larger than the length of your foot would normally dictate. 

ich lach mich tot.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ich lach mich tot.

Fritzl: you have 12,014 posts of which: (i) 500 are on the merits of Austrian shoes; (ii) 500 are on why black is the only acceptable choice for shoes; and (iii) 11,014 are laughing at posts and telling the poster he is an idiot. I don't even have to translate your post to know which category it falls under.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
Why not have a once step put in them? i.e. longer at the back than the front, usually turned up on the side streams. I have a few pairs of trousers like this.It's great to annoy other people with and besides, you don't want to be like everyone else do you?

peterparker20

Reaction score
Is there a gap in the back of your shoe? It sounds like the length of the pants at the back is just perfect to slip in. Probably need the pants a little longer or little shorter?

Eh, the fit of the shoes is completely fine - actually a half a size smaller than I normally wear. They are not lose.

I did wear the same shoes when the pants were being measured to tailor --- I don't think a tailor would have predicted the problem.

I guess I'll have to find a creative solution, since the problem seems rare but a huge nuisance. The problem is really just a combination of things --- the fabric is light to move a lot while I'm walking, but straight and just heavy enough to slide down a very thin divot between my sock and shoe, and get stuck there.

mingus2112

Reaction score
Perhaps a picture of the offending pants/shoe combination taken by someone else at shoe level? I would guess this was more a shoe problem than a pants problem but I'd take your word on it if you claim otherwise. With uncuffed pants, my tailor angles the hem towards the back of the shoe. If these had been my pants, with a small break in the front, the pants would be well below the top of my shoes - even while walking. If your shoes fit fine, perhaps it's a combination of only having a super slight break and a straight hem?

-James

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Eh, the fit of the shoes is completely fine - actually a half a size smaller than I normally wear. They are not lose.

I did wear the same shoes when the pants were being measured to tailor --- I don't think a tailor would have predicted the problem.

thanks for confirming.

peterparker20

Reaction score
thanks for confirming.
Go do something productive with your time other than stroke yourself on this forum.
nod[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads