1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress pants- cuffs and pleats, yes or no ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLA, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JLA

JLA Active Member

Should I be replacing my worn dress slacks with slacks that have pleats and cuffs or plain fronts and no cuffs ?

Thanks

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I used to go all flat front w/ no cuffs. I still do that for non-business pants (wool or cotton). But lately I haven't minded picking up some pleated and cuffed dress pants for work. You can find better quality for cheaper (thanks to the flat front craze), and I prefer suit pants to have pleats (just a personal preference) so I figured why not dress pants?

That said, I think it would be a mistake to just load up on pleated pants. Why not have a nice mix? FWIW, in my opinion cotton pants shoudl always be flat front -- cotton pleats just don't drape well at all, whereas wool pleats can drape very well.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I'd say it depends on your size and shape. For example, pleats look terrible on me (6'0, 175#, 32/33 pants), except on very dark pants where they are not noticeable, while flat fronts look terrible on many people, but great on others.

I agree that most cotton pants should not have pleats. I have seen it done well, but not often.

4. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I perfer my suit pants to have pleats and cuffs in them. To me it just looks better. If i'm just doing something casual then i perfer the pants to be flat front. I agree with johnny that a nice mix is a good idea. Variety is the spice of life. As for the cotton pants with pleat i fully agree that they should always be flat front. I bought a pair with pleats and well i hate them and they are sitting in my closet and haven't been touched in a year or two.

nik

5. JLA

JLA Active Member

I'm thinking flat front, no cuff is the current style. I know
    pleats etc. are classic with suits but what do you think for wool dress pants ?

Thanks

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

If flat fronts look good on you, then flat front/no cuffs are a good choice. This is especially true if you like or require a lower rise, as low rise pleated pants look terrible, IMO.