1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress Pants Alteration Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Hey guys,

I have two pairs of Prada semi-dress/casual slacks. Nice pants, except that they are very narrow at the ankle. I like my pants to have a slight boot cut so they fit well over shoes or boots.

I was thinking of making a 2-3" vertical slit in the bottom of the leg, right on the seam, on the inner-side. Do you think this would work? Note, I wouldn't be wearing these slacks as dress pants, just casually.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Get the job done professionally, and add a zipper to the *outside* seam that goes midcalf. It'll make the pants look more casual in and of themselves and look good over sneakers unzipped about 3 to 4 inches, or with slim shoes zipped up nearly all the way. Good street look.

3. VMan

Yeah I was thinking of doing it professionally...I can do minor alterations myself (hemming pants and shirts, tapering a shirt's sides) but these were rather expensive pants new (I didn't pay much at all for them, but replacement cost if something goes wrong, would be high) so maybe I should trust the tailor.

The zipper is a great idea. I've seen some Versace slacks that had this, and they looked nice. Though the zipper was maybe only 6" long. My tailor is a more traditional Sicilian though, who isn't too up on the latest fashions. I wonder what he'll say when I ask him to install zippers on my pant legs.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

The zipper is a very cool idea... (I can hear the collective gasp of the traditionalists.) Prada gutter punk.

If you just wanted to make the slit it would be very simple; make a bar tack across the inseam or outseam and/ or stitch an "end" on the seam (inside the pant leg) where you want the slit to stop. Rip the seam up to that point. Unfold the hem (assuming these are not cuffed) and either sew along the edge to tack it down, or if you want to be really crafty, mitre the corner and sew it up (it's really not hard if you take a sec to figure it out). Thinking about it I almost want to go try it to see how well it would work.. I think I have an old pair of Dickies around that don't break well. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

5. VMan

J -

Thanks - I just might try it myself, but first on a pair of thrift store pants or something, I would be mad at myself for ruining a pair of good pants. Maybe I'll get a tailor to put a zipper on one pair, and then just have the slit on the other.

6. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

Versaceman, did you ever do this? How'd it turn out?

Thanks,

Dan

7. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

i did this to my levis stright leg cords. i just opened up the seams on the sides and left it at that. i even left the lose threads. ive seen a lot of people do this, i think it looks good if you just leave it messy.

8. VMan

I tried it with one pair of pants; I cut the slit, but I haven't gotten around to sewing it up yet. It looks OK - definitely better than they did before, but they still don't look great. They are narrow, and then open up right at the bottom to fit over the shoe better, rather than have a gradual flare all the way down.

9. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

So did you nix the zipper idea complete.

Dan

10. leroy

leroy Active Member

good to leave such professional job to your tailor. such "operation" needs to be done professionally to make the addition of the zippers look nice and every part of your pants. best to have the zippers hidden under the seams.