• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress me like a Dean

III

Reaction score
Or perhaps, as a snooty academic, I should say "Dress me as a Dean would dress".

I'm about to take a job as a research dean at a medical school in the southwestern US. It's a pretty casual place (high desert, lots of folks in cowboy boots, etc). It will be my first obligate full-time suit-wearing gig. I currently own a solid navy bespoke suit, a navy windowpane (Hickey-Freeman), a gray glen plaid (Hickey-Freeman) and a gray sharkskin (BB). Four suits are obviously not going to cut it, so a wardrobe expansion is in order.

I was oogling a navy chalk stripe in a shop the other day and my girlfriend said "absolutely not - too Wall Street". I know there are a few other academics and medical types around here. What say you? Strong stripes OK? Too authoritarian for the Academy? How about brown? It could be a farm town if anything would grow there . . . .

Eccentric

Reaction score
As the man in charge, you do have the liberty of dressing however you want. That being said, a tweed suit would fit the role perfectly.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
If i were you, I'd be heading here as fast as my virtual feet could take me. I'm just starting my journey toward academia, and when I start getting toward the top, I'm going to reward myself with just such a suit. They are fairly inexpensive to add to the wardrobe and will definitely add a somewhat casual but eminently academic vibe for when you want to go for that. Edit: Eccentric is a man of good taste and fast fingers.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tweed, and an ascot is a must. A pipe wouldnt hurt
teacha.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too many things can be said about dressing for academia that will be true at all the various schools and in all the various regions. But it does look to me like you can make almost anything work in academia. Eccentricity is easily embraced so long as it's not too aggressive or unstable (inconsistent).

The whole range of suits should be an option for you. Prince of wales, other classic plaids, solid brown and olive suits, brown shoes, and outfits without a lot of contrast appear to pass for laid-back. It's doubtful you'll need the warmth of tweeds in the southwest, which is too bad since they are good for down-to-earthy tones.

It's probably best for you to wear what you have for a month and take notes all the while. The appropriateness of various outfits will depend on your duties for the day. If you must do a lot of fund-raising, you may or may not want to blend in somewhat with potential donors. If you deal much with the faculty, you may or may not, depending on the case, want to blend in with them. And you will be looking at your equals and superiors as well.

I'd go slow and grow the wardrobe cautiously.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
The Southwest's high desert can get fairly cold, tweed might work. Also, you might want to look to this guy for fashion tips. Dressing like him can give you that added bit of authority to put rogue fraternities on double secret probation.
picture-31.png

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2003oldschool011mx0.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-1 on the tweed. A research dean is not a research/teaching position. He is -not- trying to look like a professor.

I'd vote for gray prince of wales. Dewey's advice seems the most reasonable to me- I'd listen to him.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't forget that as the dean you will have to shill for the school and hit up alumni and wealthy patrons to be donors, pay for new buildings, scholarships, etc. DRESS FOR WALL STREET

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all in the glasses. Oliver People's for Nom De Guerre would work well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
don't forget that as the dean you will have to shill for the school and hit up alumni and wealthy patrons to be donors, pay for new buildings, scholarships, etc. DRESS FOR WALL STREET
dirk is right, dress conservatively. Your audience is not only the school, it's donors, state legislators, NSF, NIH, and others in DC. Your university administrators and other deans will be dressed very conservatively, and in suits.

badchad

Reaction score
How do the other faculty dress? If you've made it to "dean" then you have obviously been in the academic sector for quite some time.

In my experience, a standard suit will suffice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics