1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress me like a Dean

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by III, Dec 14, 2008.

1. III

III Active Member

Many excellent replies!

The job will indeed entail meeting with the faculty, community leaders, the occasional legislative delegation, president, regents etc., as well as students, postdocs and so on. I will also need to be ready to meet with the press on short notice - significant publications or new developments always generate interest in a mid-size town.

Thanks, all, very much!

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

You can do that chalk stripe, hell yes. Tweed can be great for university, but in a way is almost a cliche.
    I think you would want to look more administrative rather than like faculty.

3. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Find some corduroy too.

Sport coat, coat and vest, suit, or 3 piece.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

You can do that chalk stripe, hell yes. Tweed can be great for university, but in a way is almost a cliche.
    I think you would want to look more administrative rather than like faculty.

Yes, definitely dress more administrative than faculty. Faculty, students and your peer administrators will actually expect it of you.

6. CaneCobra

CaneCobra Member

Dean?
    Couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]

7. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Dress you like The Dean?

[​IMG]

8. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

You need a more formal wardrobe for meeting with external constituencies--government, donors, etc--and a less formal one for meeting with faculty, who will likely already regard you with some suspicion since you hail from industry. Choose clothes that appropriate to the audience you're addressing.

I would scrap tweed. It's much too hot.

9. academe

academe Senior member

As an academic at St Andrews, I see plenty of administrative higher ups wandering around in suits all the time. May be because it is the UK (and British men do love stripes), I frequently see all manner of pinstripes, chalk strips, self-stripes, etc. and don't necessarily automatically think "banker." I'd get a few striped suits if they appeal to you. If you're in the "warm" part of the US like the southwest, you might consider having a couple of linen suits for the warmer periods of the year. These might also be a bit less formal, for days when you don't have to speak or meet the public...