• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Leather Shoe Experts: Why are these Carmina shoes finely crinkled?

rubbercow

Reaction score
All,

I recently purchased a set of Carmina calf balmoral whole-cuts based on research and a forum query.

I maintain my shoes and always use a shoe tree, that while not lasted, is well fitting.

I've seen wrinkles, creases, and occasionally crinkles (toward the end of shoe life just before it finally cracks). However I've never seen crinkles within eight days of wear, and never this badly. They started on the first day, and have grown worse each day.

Is this a leather quality or issue?

Is the leather dehydrated?

Am I perhaps doing something wrong?

Any suggestions? Please let me know. Thank you.

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
It looks fairly normal.

I am just wondering if the shoes are actually too big for you or you are always bending your toes while seated.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All, I recently purchased a set of Carmina calf balmoral whole-cuts based on research and a forum query. I maintain my shoes and always use a shoe tree, that while not lasted, is well fitting. I've seen wrinkles, creases, and occasionally crinkles (toward the end of shoe life just before it finally cracks). However I've never seen crinkles within eight days of wear, and never this badly. They started on the first day, and have grown worse each day.
Is this a leather quality or issue? Is the leather dehydrated? Am I perhaps doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Please let me know. Thank you.
So you distinguish between "wrinkle" and "crinkle" (apparently "a wrinkle or crease found on the surface of something")? In my experience, calfskin gets micro creases like these (shell cordovan doesn't, but does sometimes get extensive "rolls", which is a matter of taste). Unfortunately yours are forming in a few places, but provided they fit well, I don't think this could be avoided.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks fairly normal.

I am just wondering if the shoes are actually too big for you or you are always bending your toes while seated.

My thoughts exactly.

HughJ

Reaction score
Another vote for normal. I can't see any cause for concern.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely normal, nothing to be concerned at or complain about.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely normal, nothing to be concerned at or complain about.

+1. Trees will help (as you mentioned). Wrinkles are always going to be a little more eye-catching on a wholecut as there is nothing else to draw the eye, so that might be why they seem overly prevalent to you. Are they too big? Did you try a size down?

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Not the same company, but my AE Kenilworth PTBs creased like that. The shoe is slightly large. I put a fair amount of wear into them. They are by far the worst looking creases of all my shoes.

I am unclear if this is because its because its a plain toe with no additional leather to provide support or mask the additional creasing. If I were to buy another ptb, it would be in shell for this reason, prefer rolls over the micro crease.

Creases aren't close to the toe at least to my eye, so it's not too long.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
normal. without the toe cap, it seems wholecuts crease more or its just more noticeable

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quad raises a good point. A toe cap would have an insert of some kind that would resist wirnkles and also the cap line would draw the eye away from instep wrinkles. Wingtip toes and broguing would also serve as eye-catching. With a wholecut, one single piece of leather makes the upper of the shoe (not including the tongue) and it is literally like having a second skin over the foot, revealing the wear signature of its owner. Personally, I would wear a wholecut sparingly and not as an everyday shoe.

Welcome to Styleforum rubbercow.

Last edited:

rubbercow

Reaction score
These are all excellent answers, and they all make sense.

Answers to questions in case anyone is following:

They're actually my exact size, right down to the width (that was part of my surprise).

I do not actively fold my toes under when sitting at my desk, but I'll watch for that behavior. I may be doing so without realizing it.

I was defining crinkling as fine wrinkling, although I now realize that is not accurate.

Thanks all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads