• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Dress" Jeans for the Office

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems unnecessary to ask but Levi 501s will tick all the boxes you mention. They are even easy to find in the shops.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is BB Levi's. I use them When I make trips to visit construction sites.

lesbianavant

Reaction score
Definitely go for APC new standards or if you want slimmer but still nice selvage denim petit standards just down size down too much - also if you aren't strained in budget go for Dior 21cm raws or 19cm indigo raws - I use to work for a laid back company and I pretty much wore a tucked in Band of Outsiders or Gant shirt tucked into some Dior 19cm indigo raws to work every day with some Clarks desert boots. Pretty much can't go wrong with that - it's casual but still very much classy. You can order the Diors from www.luisaviaroma.com and APCs from apc.fr or context clothing.com

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the 1947 501s would be a good bet. Slimmer than regular 501s, with a tuck-able rise.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think he has mentioned how he's built. 501s can be skin tight on some of us :satisfied: Hardly baggy.

word!

as with all clothing, they are sensitive to size. cant throw out models universally like that. im lean by all accounts, but i am a bicyclist, and many denim and trouser model popular here look like ballet tights on me.

also, i find 501s just a tad too high wasted

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Uniqlo Made in Japan's that I bought last year. You'd think they were brand new—totally indestructible—and they're plain enough to go with something like a tweed sport coat. I think they're only available on the website now, but they do have the Japanese fabric ones in store. They selvedge models are stiff, but how they feel will depend on fit. I really wasn't prepared to spend more money, and I've been very satisfied.

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but where would I even go to find a good selection of 501s, Levis doesn't have stand alone stores, right?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe a stupid question but where would I even go to find a good selection of 501s, Levis doesn't have stand alone stores, right?

They do. You can also try any mall.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bloomingdale's and the other higher end department stores should carry the more expensive Levi's jeans.

marg

Reaction score
the rise is very important when looking to tuck in. i like the tellasons because they are low in the front, but the rise is like a straight-leg in the back. my shirts never untuck. i can't wear shirts tucked into my new standards because the back rise is just a little too low.

OP - save some cash and get the 1947 501 if the rise works for you. The denim is decent and the rise is good for tucking in - just what you want. Just be sure to size up because they will shrink like hell.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything like a Levi's 511 (ends up slim on me) but with a higher rise?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads