• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Dress" Jeans for the Office

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the definition of a "dress" jean is one without back pocket embroidery.

max b

Reaction score
Just curious : nobody heard about a brand called "Jacob Cohen" ?

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My one and only pair of jeans are Uniqlo's Japanese selvedge, they're pretty cheap and I'm no jean affocionado but I like them...APC would probably be the next step up.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PC would be a step down, but you may get easier fades out them. I heard Uniqlo are hard to fade.

djmattm

Reaction score
R: "Dress" Jeans for the Office

Just curious : nobody heard about a brand called "Jacob Cohen" ?

I have two pairs of them and they are top notch, quite famous here in italy but quite pricey too

Inviato dal mio HTC Hero usando Tapatalk

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo

J Crew 484

APC

Levi 514 / 511 (sized up)

If its dress/for work, make sure there's no distressing and a dark wash.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levis makes a few different styles and washes you could use for work. The 513 slim has a dark wash and sits just below the waist,so it is good for tucking in shirts. The Weird Guys are a bit more expensive but are a good choice. My only complaint is that they should come with a higher rise. What I like about the N& F is they hold their color well and look dark for a long time.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest Rag and Bone denim, a bit more of a trouser-like styling. RB11 in particular, if you can find them

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New standards would work perfect for you. I'm slim and have rather slim legs and they're a bit too baggy for me.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I think another thing to consider when looking for "dress" jeans is what you'll wear with them. I suggest buying a nice pair of shoes to along with them. I'd suggest a pair of brown Allen Edmond Strands because a darker Strand looks more formal, even though it is a more casual shoe. Pairing that shoe with a pair of dark straight leg denim and a nice shirt and sweater (or sport coat) will look find for a relaxed work environment.

Try a denim like this.

trigirdbers

Reaction score

I think another thing to consider when looking for "dress" jeans is what you'll wear with them.  I suggest buying a nice pair of shoes to along with them.  I'd suggest a pair of brown Allen Edmond Strands because a darker Strand looks more formal, even though it is a more casual shoe.  Pairing that shoe with a pair of dark straight leg denim and a nice shirt and sweater (or sport coat) will look find for a relaxed work environment.  

Try a denim like this.

A nice st of Allen Edmonds is next on my list but one clothing expense at a time; I already have some brown shoes that are perfectly serviceable with jeans.

However, the jeans in the above picture are EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Not "skinny" but narrow enough to be formal, dark, and tuck-able. I would definitely want something though that I could hem lower, like at the heel.

Last edited:

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
A nice st of Allen Edmonds is next on my list but one clothing expense at a time; I already have some brown shoes that are perfectly serviceable with jeans.
However, the jeans in the above picture are EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Not "skinny" but narrow enough to be formal, dark, and tuck-able. I would definitely want something though that I could hem lower, like at the heel.

If that is the type of denim you want, and you'd like the ability to hem them lower, get the APC New Standard. Any waist size you get comes with a 35.5" inseam. They have tagged sizes. The way to size is to go down 1 from your true waist size. If you are a true size 31, order a size 30.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naked and Famous Weird Guy definitely would not work because of it's insanely low rise. I don't know about the rise on the 'Slim Guy' but the cut is a bit more full and might work better in a work environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads