1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"Dress" Jeans for the Office

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by trigirdbers, Dec 11, 2011.

1. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Uniqlo

J Crew 484

APC

Levi 514 / 511 (sized up)

If its dress/for work, make sure there's no distressing and a dark wash.

2. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Levis makes a few different styles and washes you could use for work. The 513 slim has a dark wash and sits just below the waist,so it is good for tucking in shirts. The Weird Guys are a bit more expensive but are a good choice. My only complaint is that they should come with a higher rise. What I like about the N& F is they hold their color well and look dark for a long time.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I see the brand in the Japanese men's magazines like Men's Ex or Leon. I never see the brand in US retail stores.

4. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I would suggest Rag and Bone denim, a bit more of a trouser-like styling. RB11 in particular, if you can find them

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

New standards would work perfect for you. I'm slim and have rather slim legs and they're a bit too baggy for me.

6. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I think another thing to consider when looking for "dress" jeans is what you'll wear with them. I suggest buying a nice pair of shoes to along with them. I'd suggest a pair of brown Allen Edmond Strands because a darker Strand looks more formal, even though it is a more casual shoe. Pairing that shoe with a pair of dark straight leg denim and a nice shirt and sweater (or sport coat) will look find for a relaxed work environment.

[​IMG]
    Try a denim like this.
    [​IMG]

7. trigirdbers

trigirdbers Well-Known Member

A nice st of Allen Edmonds is next on my list but one clothing expense at a time; I already have some brown shoes that are perfectly serviceable with jeans.

However, the jeans in the above picture are EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Not "skinny" but narrow enough to be formal, dark, and tuck-able. I would definitely want something though that I could hem lower, like at the heel.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  8. TauKappaEpsilon

If that is the type of denim you want, and you'd like the ability to hem them lower, get the APC New Standard. Any waist size you get comes with a 35.5" inseam. They have tagged sizes. The way to size is to go down 1 from your true waist size. If you are a true size 31, order a size 30.

9. BLU8

BLU8 Well-Known Member

10. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Naked and Famous Weird Guy definitely would not work because of it's insanely low rise. I don't know about the rise on the 'Slim Guy' but the cut is a bit more full and might work better in a work environment.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

Seems unnecessary to ask but Levi 501s will tick all the boxes you mention. They are even easy to find in the shops.

12. TauKappaEpsilon

501's are way to baggy for what he is looking for.

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

My vote is BB Levi's. I use them When I make trips to visit construction sites.

14. lesbianavant

lesbianavant Member

Definitely go for APC new standards or if you want slimmer but still nice selvage denim petit standards just down size down too much - also if you aren't strained in budget go for Dior 21cm raws or 19cm indigo raws - I use to work for a laid back company and I pretty much wore a tucked in Band of Outsiders or Gant shirt tucked into some Dior 19cm indigo raws to work every day with some Clarks desert boots. Pretty much can't go wrong with that - it's casual but still very much classy. You can order the Diors from www.luisaviaroma.com and APCs from apc.fr or context clothing.com

15. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the 1947 501s would be a good bet. Slimmer than regular 501s, with a tuck-able rise.

16. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I don't think he has mentioned how he's built. 501s can be skin tight on some of us :satisfied: Hardly baggy.

17. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

word!

as with all clothing, they are sensitive to size. cant throw out models universally like that. im lean by all accounts, but i am a bicyclist, and many denim and trouser model popular here look like ballet tights on me.

also, i find 501s just a tad too high wasted

18. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

I have a pair of the Uniqlo Made in Japan's that I bought last year. You'd think they were brand new—totally indestructible—and they're plain enough to go with something like a tweed sport coat. I think they're only available on the website now, but they do have the Japanese fabric ones in store. They selvedge models are stiff, but how they feel will depend on fit. I really wasn't prepared to spend more money, and I've been very satisfied.

19. trigirdbers

trigirdbers Well-Known Member

Maybe a stupid question but where would I even go to find a good selection of 501s, Levis doesn't have stand alone stores, right?

20. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

They do. You can also try any mall.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011