Dress in Academia

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Academic2, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Both matter, in the sense that taken together with a lot of other considerations they probably account for most of the sort of broad diversity we’ve talked about, but in general local considerations surely matter most when it comes to local issues, such as hiring, promotion, and tenure. ‘Matters’ here means both ‘has the greatest influence on how individuals decide to dress’ and ‘has the greatest influence on how their dress is understood by those observing it’.

Non-local norms, such as those associated more with disciplines than with particular departments or schools, become more important in non-local contexts, such as conferences. But there’s variety even there. I’ve noted a somewhat greater degree of formality at international conferences, especially in certain parts of Europe, for example.

Cheers,

Ac

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

So local culture, field, specific institution, economic prospects, and context all go into how academics dress. That doesn't seem any different from any other job. Makes you wonder if there is such a thing as "academic dress" at all.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought we were all operating under the assumption that in any meaningful way, there isn't.

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Indeed. Diversity, not uniformity, seems to be a key characteristic. Diversity isn't the same as randomness, however: people dress the way they do for reasons. Which is partly why the subject is interesting.

Cheers,

Ac

5. Caustic Man

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that academics don't dress in widely diverse ways based on their field and/or background. What I'm saying is that this is no different than any other type of job with similar attire requirements (or lack thereof). If there is no appreciable difference then there is little point to an academic dress thread. It would be like having a "How I Ride My Bike on 70 Degree Days" thread. Why not just have a How I Ride My Bike thread? IF, however, there are commonalities within those diverse ways of dressing, and if those commonalities span disciplines then you might have something interesting. Otherwise all this thread is about is "people dress in a lot of different ways".

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

7. Caustic Man

The point I'm making is that the evidence presented so far for why people dress certain ways in academic settings fails to distinguish itself from why people dress the way they do in any other setting. Yes, there are reasons that people dress the way they do in academia. The discussion thus far has not offered any reason to think that those reasons are different specifically in academia than they are in, say, business, government, or even construction let's say.

8. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I think part of the point of this thread was to find out if academic dress existed at all. It's a question that clearly warranted a thread, if only by the number of people commenting.

Didn't hurt nobody.

Oh, then you had to go and edit your post.

9. Caustic Man

I'm not arguing that it wasn't a worth while thread. I think it's interesting too. I just don't think the angle taken by Clags and Ac is going to get any closer to answering that question. As I mentioned, looking for commonalities across fields is the way to go IMO. If they exist then you can draw conclusions about that. If they do not exist then it suggests that academics in general do not dress in any specific way but rather physicists, historians, mathematicians, archeologists, and musicians each dress in their own ways. That's still interesting but it in no way suggests an "academic" dress. If that is the case then you can lump all those fields into a general definition of "how people dress at work" which necessarily includes every other profession or job and does not necessitate a thread specifically devoted to how people dress in an academic setting. I have offered alternatives to the way the discussion is currently going, not hard rules. If these alternatives offer anything to the discussion, or at least narrows the scope into something manageable then that would be good. If they are not useful then discard them. For me, I think they offer some merit to the discussion.

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

11. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Straw man fallacy.

No-one's claiming that academics aren't normal human beings motivated by the same things that motivate others. We're saying that the environment is different.

Cheers,

Ac

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

13. Caustic Man

It's not a straw man because I'm not claiming that that is what you are claiming. I'm saying that your claim that the environment is different is not supported.

14. Caustic Man

An incorrect interpretation. What I'm saying is that if there are commonalities across disciplines in academic dress then you can truly say that there is something to the term "Dress in Academia". If not then it can only be lumped in with how people dress in various jobs. I am making no claims about academics being different from other human beings. That is your own interpretation of my argument, and an incorrect one at that.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Belated congratulations!

Cheers,

Ac