• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Hats

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entirely a matter for personal choice these days. Personally I never choose....

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I kind of think a fedora looks cool, especially with a trench coat. If you wear fitted, flat front trousers and a trench coat that isn't too baggy I think it'll look "young" enough for it to be cool and not look too retro and "old guy".

I'm also thinking that perhaps it'll start being acceptable again since hat wearing has been gone for so long. My father never wore a hat (my grandfather did though) so maybe the current generation is more likely to adopt it as something of their own and not necessarily look down on it.

cwh812

Reaction score
In terms of brands is Goorin Bros. a good start/quality brand? I've never owned a real hat and am thinking about possibly getting one.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In terms of brands is Goorin Bros. a good start/quality brand? I've never owned a real hat and am thinking about possibly getting one.

No idea, but Brooks Brothers has a nice looking hat on sale on the website right now.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A "real" hat should be fur felt. Look at Biltmore, Akubra, Dobbs, and Stetson for decent lower line hats. Wear are you located?

cwh812

Reaction score

A "real" hat should be fur felt. Look at Biltmore, Akubra, Dobbs, and Stetson for decent lower line hats. Wear are you located?

Thanks. NYC. Best place to go a place like Saks/Bergdorff? Or do these brands have their own outposts (or a specialty store that sells them)?

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Don't know about New York, but Peters Brothers hats in Texas is where I get all my hats. They do excellent work and will even do custom designs. I would advise checking out their website.

As suggested above, I quite like the fedora. It's all about pairing it properly and having the right size/shape for your face. I generally wear mine with a trench when it's raining, or with an overcoat when their's snow. Rarely with a suit if it's nice out but I don't want to wear sunglasses.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a decent hat at Goorin. In NYC go to JJ Hat Center on 6th and look at the Selentinos. The BB hat is pretty decent for the $80 sale price.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a decent hat at Goorin. In NYC go to JJ Hat Center on 6th and look at the Selentinos. The BB hat is pretty decent for the $80 sale price.

lefty

williamson

Reaction score

...fedora...With a suit, unless dictated by weather, it does strike me, after due consideration, as being a tad retro-costumey.
Very sound advice!

I generally wear mine with a trench when it's raining, or with an overcoat...

Again, a good example to follow.

The simple point is that a hat is entirely appropriate when worn for practical purposes.

howbah

Reaction score
good hats come in real sizes. stay away from anything that's only offered in S/M/L.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not to long ago men would never step foot out of their house (dressed) without a hat.  We don't see many people wearing hats that aren't baseball caps or beanies much anymore, however we see top hats at very formal settings.  I'm asking about the in between hats, such as the classic fedora worn with a suit.  

I know TheStyleBlogger doesn't get much respect here, but he posted on hats, with himself wearing a fedora by Stetson.  I'm posting here to ask SF opinions of wearing a fedora hat like this, how/where to wear the hat, and when it is appropriate.  

Here are some pictures of the hat I'm thinking of getting:

Dressing up or down, there is nothing wrong with wearing a fedora almost anywhere appropriate. They come in so many different sizes, colours, styles, crown heights and brim widths that any man or woman can find one that compliments them.
That is, except for Svenn who most likely would prefer something a little sportier.....

A fedora is perfectly acceptable menswear. It keeps your head warm, looks stylish, maks you happy and makes other people happy. Who doesn't want to be happy? Women are also attracted to a man in a fedora. It serves as an indicator of your style and personality. If it makes you happy then enjoy,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads